Balsamic Tomato Chicken and Pasta
Note: This recipe is especially for teens with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
Your taste buds will really enjoy this flavorful, lactose-free dish. Serve with a side of garlic bread and your favorite vegetable.
Prep time: 45 minutes
- 18 oz. chicken breast, cut into small pieces (1/2" square)
- ½ c. onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) of diced tomato
- 1½ c. sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. rosemary
- ¼ c. tomato paste
- cooking spray
- 3 1/3 c. cooked pasta
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sauté onion, garlic and mushrooms in large skillet for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add raw chicken pieces to large skillet with onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Cook chicken over medium high heat until no longer pink.
- Once chicken is cooked, add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, and spices to the chicken mixture.
- Mix together well and simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes.
- Toss 1 cup of sauce with 2/3 cup of cooked pasta for each serving.
Serving size: 1 cup of sauce with 2/3 cup of cooked pasta
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
37 g protein
4 g fat
64 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
125 mg cholesterol
552 mg sodium
88 mg calcium
6.4 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
- Use low-sodium canned tomatoes and tomato paste if want to decrease the amount of sodium.
- Add soy cheeses, such as mozzarella or parmesan.
- If you want a thicker sauce, add more tomato paste.
- If you want a thinner sauce, use less tomato paste.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012