Chicken Salad With Apples
Note: This recipe is especially for pregnant and breastfeeding women, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 12 oz. cooked chicken breast
- 1 c. low-fat or fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1 c. walnut halves or pieces
- Cut chicken breast into 1-inch cubes.
- Combine chicken cubes, diced apple, walnuts, and mayonnaise in a bowl and mix well.
Serving size: approximately 1 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
23 g protein
18 g fat
2 g sat. fat
16 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
56 mg cholesterol
539 mg sodium
38 mg calcium
1 mg iron
26 mcg folic acid
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Why this recipe is good for pregnant or breastfeeding women:
This recipes provides extra protein, which is important for pregnant and breastfeeding women. Homemade mayonnaise should not be used because the raw egg yolk is a source of bacteria that can be harmful to you and your unborn baby. Your immune system is not working as well during pregnancy, so you should avoid raw and undercooked foods.
Variations and suggestions:
This chicken salad can be served over a bed of greens or spread on top of bread for a tasty sandwich.
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD