Macaroni and Cheese
Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This classic is now packed with more calories and fat.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 6 c. water
- 1 (7.25 oz.) package of macaroni and cheese dinner
- ¼ c. butter
- ¼ c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. skim milk powder
- ½ c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- stove (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- medium pan
- measuring cups
- Boil the water in a medium pan.
- Stir in the macaroni.
- Boil for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the macaroni and return it to the pan.
- Add butter, whipping cream, skim milk powder, cheese, and cheese sauce mix (from the macaroni and cheese dinner package).
- Reduce heat to low and mix well until the cheese has melted.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
16 g protein
32 g fat
870 mg sodium
305 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
For extra flavor, add one or more of the following:
- 1 c. broccoli, steamed
- 2 hot dogs, boiled and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012