NY KNICKS “2014 DAVE DEBUSSCHERE AWARD” CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. PERIOD: Contest begins at 6:00pm Eastern Time (“ET”) on February 1, 2014 and ends at 11:59pm ET on March 25, 2014 (the “Contest Period”).
2. ELIGIBILITY: Contest is open to legal U.S. residents of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, who are enrolled students in good standing in accredited tri-state area high schools between 13 and 19 years of age at the time of entry, and who reside within a 75-mile radius of Madison Square Garden. Contest is void outside the area stated herein and where prohibited by law. Directors, employees, and the immediate family (spouse, parent, sibling, children, grandparent or grandchildren and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and/or household members, whether or not related, of individuals employed by, MSG Holdings, L.P. (“MSG” or “Sponsor”), The New York Knickerbockers Basketball Club (the “Knicks”), the National Basketball Association and its member teams, NBA Properties, Inc., (collectively, “NBA Entities”), and all of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, advertising and promotional agencies, are ineligible to participate. Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
3. HOW TO ENTER: During the Contest Period, to be entered into the Contest, entrants will need visit www.nyknicks.com and click on the “Dave DeBusschere Award” link and follow the on-screen instructions in order to nominate a candidate for the Dave DeBusschere Award (the “Award”). Entrants are asked to nominate candidates for the Award, by submitting the following (collectively the “Contest Submissions”):
(1) Fully complete an online entry form including (i) your name (first and last), age, mailing address, daytime and evening telephone numbers, e-mail address and (ii) the name (first and last), high school team (if applicable), youth athletic association (if applicable), age, mailing address, daytime and evening telephone numbers, and email address of the individual being nominated (collectively, the “Contestant”). In the event the Contestant in under the age of 18, contact information (mailing address, telephone numbers and email address) provided should be the contact information of the Contestants parent or guardian; and
(2) Submit an original essay of no more than 250 words describing the Contestant’s contributions to sports/athletics in the tri-state area as a student/athlete, the other activities that the Contestant participates in (i.e., extracurricular activities), their academic abilities, and stating why you believe the Contestant should win the Award.
Sponsor reserves the right to allow for minor deviations from the guidelines and restrictions set forth herein, based on clear intent to comply with these Official Rules, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Contest Submissions generated by script, macro or other automated means or by any means which subvert the entry process are void. Limit one (1) Contest Submission per person/email address. Contest Submissions received from any person or email address in excess of this limitation will be void. All Contest Submissions become the sole property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
PROHIBITED CONTENT: Contest Submissions may not contain, as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, any content that:
• is sexually explicit or suggestive; unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic; contains nudity;
• promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing); promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; promotes any particular political agenda or message;
• is obscene or offensive; endorses any form of hate or hate group;
• appears to duplicate any other submitted Contest Submissions;
• defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about Sponsor, its products or services, other people or companies;
• contains trademarks, logos, or trade dress (such as distinctive packaging or building exteriors/interiors) owned by others, without permission, to the extent permission is necessary;
• contains copyrighted materials owned by others (including music, photographs, sculptures, paintings, and other works of art or images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media), without permission, to the extent permission is necessary;
• contains materials embodying the names, likenesses, voices, or other indicia identifying any person (living or dead), such as license plate numbers, personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses, including, without limitation, celebrities and/or other public or private figures, living or dead, without permission, to the extent permission is necessary;
• communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will with which Sponsor wishes to associate; and/or
• violates any law.
Contest Submission must be the original work of the entrant, may not have been previously published, may not have won previous awards, and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity. If an Contest Submission contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant, and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the Contest Submission, any and all releases, permissions and consents necessary to permit the use and exhibition of the Contest Submission by Sponsor in the manner set forth in these Official Rules, including, without limitation, permissions from any person who is mentioned in, appears in or is identifiable in the Contest Submission and permissions from any person who took the photograph or filmed the video of the entrant. Sponsor reserves the right to request proof of these permissions in a form acceptable to Sponsor from any entrant at any time. Failure to provide such proof may, if requested, render Contest Submission null and void. By submitting an Contest Submission, entrant warrants and represents that he/she and any persons who are mentioned in, appearing or identifiable in the Contest Submission consent to the submission and use of the Contest Submission in the Contest and to its use as otherwise set forth herein.
By submitting a Contest Submission, entrant represents and warrants that the Contest Submission conforms to these Official Rules and understands that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify the Contest Submission for any reason, including if it determines, in its sole discretion, that the Contest Submission fails to conform to these Official Rules in any way or otherwise contains unacceptable content as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
USE OF CONTEST SUBMISSIONS: By submitting a Contest Submission, entrant hereby grants to Sponsor a nonexclusive license to reproduce, distribute, display, perform, create derivative works based upon, or otherwise exploit the Contest Submission in any manner or media now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity for advertising, promotional and other purposes, without further compensation, notification or permission. Entrant agrees that Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for any unauthorized use of Contest Submissions by third parties. Sponsor has no obligation to make use of the rights granted herein.
4. WINNER DETERMINATION: All eligible Contestant Submissions will be judged by a panel of qualified judges in accordance with the following criteria: (i) Demonstrated passion for sports/athletics (25%); (ii) Demonstrated dedication to sports/athletic commitment (25%); (iii) Demonstrated commitment to extracurricular activities/community/charity/volunteerism (25%); and (iv) Academic performance (25%). The two (2) Contestant Submissions that receive the highest scores shall be deemed the winners (together, the “Potential Winner”). In the event of a tie, the applicable judges will re-read the tied Contest Submissions and re-rank the Contest Submissions based on the foregoing criteria until two (2) winners are determined. Decisions of Sponsor and judges are final and binding.
The Potential Winners must comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules, and winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. The Potential Winner may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release within 24 hours of the date of notice in order to claim his/her prize and become an official winner (“Official Winner”). If a prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, a Potential Winner cannot be contacted, is not incompliance with these Official Rules or fails to sign and return the Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release within the required time period, the Potential Winner may be disqualified and forfeits the prize. In the event that a Potential Winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor will award the prize to a runner-up.
5. PRIZES: Two (2) Official Winners will receive (i) four (4) tickets to the Knicks home game on April 5, 2014 at Madison Square Garden and (ii) on-court recognition during the game (Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of each prize): $980).
Total ARV of Contest Prizes: $1,960
Tickets are subject to terms and conditions stated thereon. Seat locations are determined by Sponsor. Official Winners and guest(s) must comply with all venue rules and regulations. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of prize. If event is cancelled or postponed, no compensations or substitution will be provided.
Prizes are awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied. Official Winners will be responsible for all federal, state and local taxes and fees and other costs and expenses associated with prize receipt and/or use that are not expressly included in the prize description, including but not limited to transportation to and from Madison Square Garden, meals and beverages. No cash or other substitution, assignment or transfer of any prizes permitted, except by Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute prize or prize component with cash or another prize of comparable or greater value. Sponsor is solely responsible for providing elements of prize to Official Winner. All prize details are at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
6. PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest constitutes Official Winners’ consent to Sponsor and its parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies and their designees to use his/her name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions, biographical information, hometown and state for advertising and promotional purposes, in any manner, in any and all media now or hereafter devised, worldwide in perpetuity, without further payment or consideration, notification or permission.
8. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, inaccurate, stolen, delayed, misdirected, undelivered or garbled Contest Submissions or emails or postage-due, damaged or illegible mail; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing or judging of Contest Submissions, the announcement of the prize(s), or in any Contest-related materials. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to participants' or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading materials from or use of the website. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest if fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control impairs the integrity of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In such event, Sponsor reserves the right to award the prizes using the winner determination procedure set forth above from among the non-suspect, eligible Contest Submissions received up to the time of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual they find to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and void all associated Contest Submissions. Any attempt by any person to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including, without limitation, attorney’s fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In the event of a dispute regarding Contest Submissions received from multiple users having the same e-mail account, the authorized subscriber of the e-mail account at the time of entry will be deemed to be the entrant and must comply with these rules. Authorized account subscriber is the natural person who is assigned the e-mail address by the Internet Service Provider (ISP), on-line service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses.
9. RELEASE/LIMITS OF LIABILITY: By entering this Contest, each entrant and Official Winner agrees to release and hold harmless MSG Holdings, L.P., the Knicks, the NBA Entities, their parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, shareholders, agents, employees and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest (collectively, “Released Parties”) from and against any losses, damages, rights, claim or cause of action of any kind arising, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, out of participation in the Contest or resulting directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize awarded in connection with the Contest, including without limitation personal injury, death, and/or property damage, as well as claims based on publicity rights, defamation, and/or invasion of privacy.
10. DISPUTES: Each entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the District of New York or the appropriate New York State Court located in New York; (ii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest and in no event will entrants be permitted to obtain attorneys' fees or other legal costs; and (iii) under no circumstances will entrants be permitted to obtain awards for and entrants hereby waive all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of New York or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York.
11. CONTEST SPONSOR: MSG Holdings, L.P., 2 Penn Plaza, New York, NY 10121.
12. WINNERS’ LIST: For the names of the Official Winners or a copy of these Official Rules, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: NY Knicks “Dave DeBusschere Award” Contest, 2 Penn Plaza, 14th Floor, New York, NY 10121 by April 30, 2014. Please specify Winners List or Rules Request.