Inside the ZBBC
By Mattson Newell
Fans only see the finished product that makes its way over to EnergySolutions Arena, but where the real work goes on is at the ZBBC, the Zions Bank Basketball Center.
“We've had a long-standing relationship with the Jazz, and we saw the Zions Bank Basketball Center as a wonderful opportunity to extend our presence in the market and, at the same time, help build one of the finest, if not the finest, practice facilities in the NBA,” said Executive Vice President of Zions Bank Rob Brough.
The basketball center was opened in 2003 and has been acting as the Jazz practice facility ever since. The ZBBC is located near downtown Salt Lake City at 1414 South 500 West, next to Larry H. Miller's new Ford Truckland and adjacent to Prestige Financial.
“The Zions Bank Basketball Centerwas designed to be the premier basketball training and practice facility in the NBA,” Jazz owner Larry H. Miller said. “We studied some of the newer facilities around the country and together with input from our coaches, trainers and our players, designed a facility that will give our team all of the advantages for game preparation, rehabilitation and weight training.”
Upon its opening Jazz General Manager Kevin O’Connor was extremely pleased with the outcome. “I have had the chance to visit most of the NBA team facilities around the league. This will be the best in the NBA. I have been pleased with the efforts of everyone involved in this project. Our trainers and coaches have been invaluable in designing this center to meet the needs of our players.”
The Jazz players are also very fond of the facility; especially those players who have experienced other facilities around the league. “Our practice facility is one of the best in the game. Being all-inclusive the way it is - with the size of the weight room and everything in the training room, with two full courts, our practice facility is definitely in the top three in the league,” said first-year Jazz guard and NBA veteran Brevin Knight.
While at first the center might seem to be just for basketball, it can also service a number of other needs including: press conferences, catered events, and film breakdown for the team.
Quick Stats and Facts about the Zions Bank Basketball Center:
- The facility consists of two levels with 40,111 square feet of floor area on the first level and 10,879 square feet on the second level, resulting in a total area of 50,990 square feet.
- The main feature of the Zions Bank Basketball Center is two full size NBA courts, 94 ft x 50 ft. Total court area is 22,200 square feet. Retractable bleacher seating is provided to accommodate 338 spectators at court level.
- A team locker room with 20 custom, open face wardrobe-type lockers with associated shower, restroom and steam room with direct access to the courts, training and hydrotherapy areas.
- A 2200 square foot weight training and cardio workout area opening directly to the court area.
- Two additional auxiliary locker rooms adjacent to the weight training and cardio workout area with direct access to the courts to accommodate the Jazz dancers and facility guests as needed.
- A state of the art press room opening directly to the courts with portable, raised camera and podium platforms, plug-in camera feeds to remote television trucks, work counters with data feeds for media personnel and an adjoining acoustically isolated Jazz Broadcasting radio and television interview room.
- Kitchen facility for catering special events requiring food service and a concessions area open to the courts.
- Private offices for the Jazz coaching staff overlooking the courts. A cantilevered camera platform overlooking the courts. A state of the art theater for reviewing game film, with tiered seating for 58 fixed movie theater type seats.