Hornets Book Bus and Hugo’s P.L.A.Y. Book
Educators - We Want Your Students to Enter Hugo’s P.L.A.Y. Book that is sweeping the Carolinas.
WHAT IS THE BOOK BUS? WHAT IS HUGO’S P.L.A.Y. BOOK?
The Hornets Book Bus and Hugo’s P.L.A.Y. Book presentation is a part of the Charlotte Hornets’ “Excellence in Education” initiative. The purpose and goal of this program is to demonstrate the importance of reading to elementary school children in an effort to address one of Charlotte’s greatest educational issues – youth literacy.
This full-service literacy bus encourages reading and learning programs for youth between the ages of 5 and 11 and holds approximately 3,000 books. The Book Bus travels to elementary schools in the Charlotte area, where Hugo the Hornet will perform an interactive and entertaining program that inspires students to pick up a book and enter Hugo’s P.L.A.Y. Book! After the program, one class from each school will be able to go through the Book Bus and pick out a brand new book to take home.
FEEDBACK ABOUT THE BOOK BUS:
“I cannot thank you and the other members of the Charlotte Hornets Book Bus enough for the awesome program you put on today at Kiser Elementary. What a great way to end the first week of school! The program was educational, entertaining and interactive. Our community is so blessed to have organizations such as the Hornets who give back." -Crystal Lane. Kiser Elementary.
"Thank you so much for the show! After your show, we started a school wide reading incentive program by challenging all of our students to "Read Like Hugo & the More You Will Know. Our students loved last year's program so much, we will be beginning a similar program this year.” -Carla Stutts. Instructional Facilitator. Shepherd Elementary
“Because of this program, our students are so excited and enthusiastic about the importance of reading.” – Amy Nivens, Principal at Torrence Creek Elementary School
“SO MOTIVATING for the students!” – Nicole Barrow, Math Facilitator at Highland Renaissance Academy
HOW DO YOU GET THE BOOK BUS AND HUGO TO COME TO YOUR SCHOOL?
- To apply for the Book Bus to visit your school, please click here
IS YOUR SCHOOL READY TO ENTER HUGO'S P.L.A.Y. BOOK? SEE DETAILS AND INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!
- The Book Bus will arrive approximately 1-hour prior to the start of the program. The presentation is approximately 45-minutes in length
- The Charlotte Hornets will provide all of the necessary equipment for the show
- Your School is responsible for providing a private changing area adjacent to the gym / auditorium
- Your School is responsible for selecting the classroom/students that gets to go through the Book Bus and receive a book. Often schools will select the classroom/students based on:
- Random drawing
- Top 30 most deserving students in the school
- One top reader from each classroom equaling 30 students
- Have students choose books that will be donated to the school or classroom library
- Or any another incentive your school chooses
If you have any further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org