Hornets and Lowe's Book Bus and Hugo's Reading Revolution
Educators - We Want Your Students to Join the Reading Revolution that is Sweeping the Carolinas
WHAT IS THE BOOK BUS? WHAT IS HUGO’S READING REVOLUTION?
The Charlotte Hornets and Lowe’s Book Bus and the Hugo’s Reading Revolution presentation is part of the Charlotte Hornets’ “Excellence in Education” initiative. The purpose and goal of this program is to demonstrate the importance of reading to elementary school children in an effort to address one of Charlotte’s greatest educational issues – youth literacy. The Book Bus will travel to elementary schools within a 30 mile radius of Time Warner Cable Arena. Hugo the Hornet will perform an interactive and entertaining program that inspires students to pick up a book and join the Reading Revolution! After the program, one class from each school will be able to go through the Book Bus and pick out a brand new book to take home.
FEEDBACK ABOUT THE BOOK BUS:
“Kids were very excited to get their hands on a new book of their very own. I've found that most kids truly like to read but simply do not have a library of books to their liking at home. When a child can select his or her very own book to read, it’s a great feeling.” - Karen Cetoute, Community Specialist at Sterling Elementary School
“While students were picking out their book and waiting on the lawn you could hear them chanting ‘read everyday’!” – Michell Bogan, Literary Facilitator at Barringer Academic Center
“Because of this program, our students are so excited and enthusiastic about the importance of reading.” – Amy Nivens, Principal at Torrence Creek Elementary School
“SO MOTIVATING for the students!” – Nicole Barrow, Math Facilitator at Highland Renaissance Academy
HOW DO YOU GET THE BOOK BUS AND HUGO TO COME TO YOUR SCHOOL?
- To apply for the Book Bus to visit your school, please click here.
IS YOUR SCHOOL READY TO JOIN THE REVOLUTION? SEE DETAILS AND INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!
- The Book Bus will arrive approximately 1 hour prior to the start of the program. The presentation is approximately 45 minutes in length.
- The Charlotte Hornets will provide all of the necessary equipment for the show
- School is responsible for providing a private changing area adjacent to the gym / auditorium
- School is responsible for selecting the classroom/students that gets to go through the Book Bus and receive a book. Often schools will select the classroom/students based on:
- Random drawing
- Most AR Points
- Top 30 most deserving students in the school
- One top reader from each classroom equaling 30 students
- Have students choose books that will be donated to the school library
- Or another incentive your school chooses
- Please have the gym/ auditorium student-free 1 hour prior to the show for setup and 30 minutes following for breakdown.