Muscala, Payne Strong In Final Summer Tune-Up
Bart Young/NBAE/Getty Images
The Hawks fell to 0-3 at Las Vegas Summer League with a 91-76 loss to the Trail Blazers. Dennis Schröder led Atlanta with 16 points on 6-of-11 shooting along with four rebounds and four assists. CJ McCollum led all scorers with 28 points for the Blazers and Will Barton added 17 points.
- Schröder’s jump shot continues to impress as he hit a few pull-up jumpers that looked very smooth. He continues to attack the defense on pick-and-rolls, and showed the ability to go left with success on a few occasions.
- Mike Muscala showed off his improved shooting range by hitting 1-of-2 from the three-point line and finished with 13 points and seven rebounds. Muscala’s been efficient all week and continues to show off a well-rounded offensive game.
- Stephen Holt had 10 points on 3-of-6 shooting as he continues to impress. Holt has split time at the point and two guard, and said his biggest focus this summer has been on improving as a point guard and ball-handler. Coach Ham raved about Holt’s competitiveness and how he is constantly engaged at both ends of the floor.
- The Hawks' defense struggled, particularly in the first half against the athleticism and shooting of McCollum and Barton, who seemed able to create a good shot at will. The defense improved in the second half, doing a better job getting contests on jump shots and attempts at the rim.
- Edy Tavares had another solid outing with seven points and four rebounds in 23 minutes, and kept himself to just three fouls. Tavares’ movement has been impressive on both ends of the floor as he rotates to help at the rim well and looked comfortable rolling to the hoop on pick-and-rolls.
The Hawks will play at least two more games in the Summer League tournament that begins on Wednesday.
Story by Robby Kalland