Postgame Summary: Grizzlies vs. T'Wolves
April 2, 2011
The Grizzlies won their season-high sixth straight home game Saturday night with a 106-89 victory over the Wolves. Zach Randolph was up to his old tricks again, tallying 22 points and eight rebounds to lead Memphis. O.J. Mayo helped out with 20 points off the bench. Game Recap | Box Score | Discuss
- Memphis moved a half-game ahead of idle New Orleans for the seventh seed in the Western Conference Playoffs… The Grizzlies’ magic number is down to three.
- The Grizzlies kicked off their season-high four-game home stand, their final four home games of the season, with a 17-point win… Should Memphis (28-10 at home this season) sweep the final three games of the home stretch against the Clippers, Kings and Hornets, it would tie its single-season franchise record for home victories (31 in 2003-04).
- In the Western Conference, only the Spurs, Lakers and Nuggets have better home records than the Grizzlies.
- Memphis has won a season-high six consecutive home games (March 14-present), the club’s longest home winning streak since winning a franchise-record 11-in-a-row at FedExForum last season from Dec. 18, 2009-Jan. 25, 2010.
- The Grizzlies have beaten three consecutive teams by double figures for the first time since the final three games of the 2006-07 regular season (April 14-18, 2007).
- Memphis swept Minnesota (4-0) for the first time in franchise history.
- Minnesota lost its season-worst 10th consecutive game, the longest active skid in the NBA, and its season-low tying eighth-in-a-row on the road.
- Memphis shot .511 from the field, extending its franchise record run of shooting at least 50 percent at home to eight-straight games… The Grizzlies have shot at least .500 from the floor in 22 home games this season, tops in the NBA.
- Memphis improved to an NBA-best 18-1 and 15-0 at home when facing opponents that are playing on the second night of a back-to-back.
- The Grizzlies are now 11-9 this season on the second night of a back-to-back… Memphis defeated New Orleans on the road, 93-81, last night.
- Key Stat of the Night: Memphis stole the ball 17 times and turned 26 Minnesota turnovers into 33 points… It was a similar story the last time the Timberwolves visited FedExForum on Oct. 30, when the Grizzlies scored a season-high 36 points off 29 T-Wolves miscues, which were a Grizzlies opponents’ season high and one shy of tying the franchise record.
- Key Run of the Night: Memphis, up by nine at the end of the first quarter (29-20), built the lead up to 17 with a 10-2 run to start the second quarter, capped by back-to-back threes from O.J. Mayo and Shane Battier, which forced a timeout at 8:48 remaining… The Grizzlies, who led the game wire-to-wire, led by as many as 19 in the second half.
led all scorers with 22 points, his fourth-straight game with 20 or more… Memphis is 29-12 this season when Randolph goes for at least 20 points.
O.J. Mayo had his second prolific performance off the bench in as many nights with 20 points and five rebounds in 27 minutes… Mayo is averaging 16.5 points in 21.5 minutes in the last two games and is 5-of-6 from three-point range.
Marc Gasol also had a career-high tying four steals and blocked one shot, his career-high extending 13th-straight game with a rejection.