Final: Grizzlies 105, Knicks 95
November 16, 2012
Key Stat of the Night
Key Run of the Night
Marc Gasol scored 24 points to lead the Grizzlies to a 105-95 victory over the Knicks on Friday night. Zach Randolph had a double-double of 20 points and 15 rebounds. Rudy Gay added 17 points. Memphis’ next game will be Saturday at Charlotte.
- Memphis is in sole possession of the NBA’s best record for the first time in franchise history… The Grizzlies’ 7-1 start to the season is the best in club history.
- Memphis handed New York their first loss of the season… The Knicks had won their first six games to start the year, the team’s best start to a season since the 1993-94 campaign.
- The Knicks were outrebounded for the seventh consecutive game to start the season… However, this is the first such game that they have lost.
- The Grizzlies extended franchise-record regular season home winning streak to 15 games… The team’s last home loss came on March 16, 2012 vs. Toronto in overtime… Memphis’ last home loss in regulation was on Feb. 12, 2012 against Utah.
- The Knicks entered the game ranked second in the league in three-point percentage (.428) but was held to just .263 percent from beyond the arc tonight.
- New York entered tonight holding its opponents to an NBA-best 39.3 points in the second half… The Grizzlies recorded 31 points in the third quarter alone en route to finishing with 51 points in the second half… Memphis scored a new opponent high for New York (previously 100 points by San Antonio on Nov. 15).
- Grizzlies @ Bobcats
Saturday, November 17, 6:30pm
The Grizzlies bounce to Charlotte to take on the Bobcats.
- Tune In: 92.9FM | 680AM
Grizzlies Den Team Store FedExForum: Item of the Game
Look for the Adidas Item of the Game at every Grizzlies Home Game. See your game program for details. Plus, gear up for the season at the Grizzlies Den Team Store at FedExForum or online at Grizzliesstore.com.
2012-13 Season Tickets, 20- and 10-Game Packs are on sale now. Call 901.888.HOOP (4667) to learn more. Find single game tickets online at Ticketmaster.com, at local Ticketmaster Ticket Centers or via phone at 1-800-4NBA-TIX. Grizzlies regular season action tips-off at home on Monday, November 5 against the Utah Jazz.
On having the best record in the NBA:
“Now what? Can we hold onto it tomorrow night? We have a tough, young Bobcat team that is improving every game and we’ve been in a hard battle. We’re going to get in at four in the morning. Can we rev it up? Can we have some mental toughness, come back, and get a win tomorrow night?”
On the team’s commitment this year:
“Today obviously was to play defense, and that was the commitment that we had. Today was for me to play defense and to let the big guys play because they obviously had the mismatch. They had it going, so that was the commitment."
On the team’s confidence:
“The confidence is something that we have always had. I don’t think it is as different as what we always have been. We are just playing basketball. We are getting better that is all it is. I can’t say we are playing any different than the way we always have. We are just doing it at a higher level.”
On having the best record in the NBA:
“Sounds good; I think we are playing well right now, obviously. We have played some very good teams in the last week. [We] are just trying to keep it going.“
On the team believing:
“Yeah, we believe in ourselves and believe in our coaching staff and have faith in everybody. We have been working for years, and in the last few years, we have been floating under the radar and just having a chip on our shoulders. We still have a chip. We still feel like we can play for something. We have a lot of goals to achieve.”
On putting the word out:
“We are trying to make a statement. We are making the statement that we can play with anybody on any given night. We have a very deep team. Guys play hard. We just try to play our grit and grind style of basketball.“
On home court advantage at FedExForum:
“It has been huge. I think teams feel the pressure when they come into this building. The fans have put an awesome atmosphere for that, and that really makes it tough for them on how loud it gets, especially with the way that we play and the defensive."
On playing with a proverbial chip:
“We got to. I have been an underdog my whole life. We got to be to play like that. These guys feel the same way. We are the underdogs. We keep it like that. We are just going to come in and work and do our jobs.”/p>
On confidence and chemistry:
“It is coming together. We have been together; these guys have been here longer than me. This is my fifth year. The chemistry is coming. We understand how each other want to play and how each other want to ball. We work hard together. We share the ball. We trust each other.“