Meet the 2014-15 Grizz Girls
Throughout the season, the Grizz Girls entertain arena audiences with high energy routines and add a special touch to the Grizzlies Community with their infectious personalities. Off the court, these dancing divas hold down full-time jobs as Teachers, Dietitians, Architects and full-time students pursuing degrees in everything from Marketing to Microbiology.
Who was born in England? Who is a published author? Find these answers and more by clicking on a photo below to find out more about your favorite Grizz Girls!
2015-2016 Grizz Girls Auditions Regional Tour Schedule
The Memphis Grizzlies are holding regional tryouts in search of strong candidates to make up their 2015-2016 Grizz Girls Dance Team. Do you think you have what it takes? If so, we are coming to a city near you!
St. LouisWednesday, July 1
Famous Fresh Studios
(inside St. Louis Outlet Mall)
5555 St. Louis Mills Blvd.
Hazelwood, MO 63042
NashvilleWednesday, July 8
At DC Dance Factory
1850 E. General George Patton Drive
Franklin, TN 37067
MemphisSaturday, July 18
Mallory Gymnasium - Rhodes College
2000 N. Parkway
Get a leg up on the competition by attending our 3 pre-audition clinics. Learn everything from make-up tips, what to wear, advice from the pros, making the final cut, and the actual audition choreography! Clinics will be held at New Ballet Ensemble Dance Studio (2157 York Ave). The cost per clinic: $25 per clinic, $40 for two clinics, or $60 for three.
- Thursday, June 25 at 6pm
- Thursday, July 09 at 6pm
- Thursday, July 16 at 6pm
GirlPlay Prep Class
Practice the technique and dance styles you'll need for audition day with our GirlPlay dance classes. Prep Classes are $10 ($7 for College Students with ID).
Prep Class Dates
- Tuesdays 7:30pm @ SubRoy Studios - 2435 Whitten Rd
- Thursdays 7:00pm @ Studio Gray - 8160 Macon Rd
Prospective dancers must be a high school graduate, at least 18 years of age, and willing to relocate to Memphis to participate in the Grizz Girls audition. This is a paid position. Come earn money doing what you love! For GirlPlay Prep Class and Pre-Audiotion Clinics, please wear only non-marking footwear while taking class. Jazz Sneakers are fine, any other sneaker, cannot have a black sole. For more information on auditions check out answers to Frequently Asked Questions then call (901) 205-1411 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow the GrizzGirls on Facebook and Instagram for live audition updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on a question to show the answer
What are the requirements to attend auditions and become a Grizz Girl?
- You must be at least 18 years of age at the time of the audition. There is no maximum age limit.
- You must be a High School graduate or higher.
- You must be a full time student, or have a part time job.
- You need a schedule flexible enough to accommodate 2-3 rehearsals per week in addition to game nights.
What do I need to bring to auditions?
- 5x7 Non-returnable headshot – Your photo should be a current representation of yourself, and should be of only you.
- Dance resumé - outline your performance experience along with anything else you would like the judges to know about you.
What should I wear to the audition? How should I wear my hair?
- Nude fishnets, tights or panty hose
- Briefs or hot pants (no long pants allowed)
- Crop top (mid-section must show)
- Jazz shoe, dance sneakers or non-marking tennis shoes only
- Attire should be flattering. Dress to impress!
- Performance hair & make-up are a must!
What do the judges look for at auditions?
- Dance technique and style
- Showmanship, personality, and energy
- Physical/personal appearance - Applicants must be in top physical condition.
What are the criteria you are looking for in a Grizz Girl?
- Must be able to strongly perform a variety of dance styles; particularly jazz, street jazz, and hip hop
- Must be able to learn choreography quickly, and have strong memory retention
- Must be willing to meet and maintain physical conditioning requirements throughout season
- Must be a team player
- Must have strong work ethic; willing to work hard and commit at all times
- Must be personable withh strong communication skills, willing to engage with others with a high level of enthusiasm, confidence, and poise.
How can I best prepare for auditions?
What are GirlPlay dance classes?
How do I sign up for classes?
What are Grizz Girls Pre-Audition Clinics?
What type of things will I have to do for auditions?
Is there an interview process?
If I make it past the First Round Auditions, are there any additional dates I need to prepare for leading up to the Finals?
Will the auditions be open to the public?
Do current Grizz Girls members have to audition?
How many dancers will be selected for the Grizzlies Dance Team?
If I currently do not reside in the Memphis area, will I have to relocate?
Is this a full time job?
Is this a paid job?
If you didn't find an answer to your question here, please send an email or call the Grizzlies Dance Team Audition hotline at 901.205.1411.