Memphis Grizzlies House at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
The Grizzlies have developed a unique relationship with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital that began in 2002 after the team relocated from Vancouver, B.C. to Memphis. Memphis Grizzlies House at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital serves as the foundation for which the rest of the partnership is built. The Grizzlies pledged $5 million towards the construction of Grizzlies House in 2002. Grizzlies House opened its doors to St. Jude Patients and families in January 2004. The approximately 70,000 square feet, 100 room building serves as a free, short-term housing facility for children undergoing treatment at St. Jude. Grizzlies players and staff have been active in the team’s partnership through hospital visits, autographed memorabilia, and ticket and personal donations.
The team continues to support Grizzlies House and St. Jude through a variety of initiatives, such as player visits, promotion of the national Thanks and Giving and Hoops for St. Jude campaigns, game ticket donations, and fundraising auctions.
Grizzlies House Galleries
- February 2009: Grizzlies House 5th Anniversary
- November 2008: In retrospect: Grizzlies players at staff at Grizzlies House
- January 2004: Open House Grand Opening
- December 2003: Memphis Grizzlies House Construction Cam
- October 2002: Groundbreaking Ceremony photos
Other aspects of the St. Jude-Memphis Grizzlies Partnership include:
- Tip-Off Luncheon
- Just before the start of the season, the Grizzlies host its Annual Tip-Off Luncheon presented by First Tennessee to introduce the new team to the community. Players and coaches eat lunch with fans while the Grizzlies broadcast team interviews the guys about the upcoming season. The event features a silent and live auction with proceeds benefiting Grizzlies House. 9th Annual Tip-Off Luncheon.
- Grizz Gala
- During the 2009-10 Season, the Grizzlies introduced Grizz Gala presented by Gold Strike Casino Resort to raise funds to support Grizzlies House. The Gala is now an annual event that will provide fans with the opportunity to party with the players in a fun atmosphere that will feature dancing, food, interactive games, along with a silent and live auction. In 2010, fans had the opportunity to bid on a once in a lifetime experience to dance with Rudy Gay and Mike Conley. Photos Video.
- Online Auction Series
- Throughout the year, the Grizzlies host online auctions to benefit Grizzlies House. Auction items feature player autographed memorabilia, game-worn items, and unique fan experiences. For more information, on our online auction series, including a list of current items up for bid, please visit our online auctions page | Log in and sign up to receive Auction e-mail notifications.
- Thanks and Giving and Hoops for St. Jude
- Thanks and Giving is a St. Jude campaign that runs between Thanksgiving and Christmas encouraging consumers to, “give thanks for the healthy kids in their lives, and give to those who are not.” The Grizzlies invite a St. Jude patient and his/her family to each home game during the campaign where they are provided free tickets, the opportunity to watch pre-game shoot-around, and the chance to meet players and Grizz - our mascot, a cancer survivor himself. During the game, each patient is recognized and fans are encouraged to donate either online or by text message. In addition, Grizzlies fans can make a donation every time they purchase tickets online thru Ticketmaster for home games between Thanksgiving and Christmas by selecting to add a donation to their order.
- In the spring, the Grizzlies and St. Jude partnered for the Hoops for St. Jude campaign. St. Jude patients and families were again invited to be the special guest at each home game during Hoops for St. Jude week and fans were encouraged to make donations or support through pledges for points scored by Hoops for St. Jude spokesperson, Rudy Gay. Rudy presented St. Jude with a check for $22,222.22 in support of the program.
- In-Arena Scoreboard Messages
- The Grizzlies accept requests to post Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary messages for a fee of $50 per message, which will benefit Grizzlies House. Please review the guidelines and complete a message request form, sign, and e-mail or fax to the Grizzlies Community Investment Department at least 72 hours prior to the desired game. For Saturday or Sunday games, the request form must be received by 5pm the Thursday prior to the requested game.
- Grizzlies Group VIP Experiences
- The Grizzlies provide fans with the opportunity to purchase one-of-a-kind fan experiences that give you the chance to get up close and personal with the game action. A portion of each Group VIP Experience goes towards Grizzlies House. Learn more.
About St. Jude
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is internationally recognized for its pioneering work in finding cures and saving children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases. Founded by the late entertainer Danny Thomas and based in Memphis, Tennessee, St. Jude freely shares its discoveries with scientific and medical communities around the world. No family ever pays for treatments not covered by insurance, and families without insurance are never asked to pay. St. Jude is financially supported by ALSAC, its fundraising organization. Donate online to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.