TEAMS AND ARENAS
NBA teams have committed to greening efforts that have helped improve the efficiency of NBA arenas, reduce waste, save money and strengthen teamsí relationships with their communities.
- Six NBA team arenas have received LEED certification by the U.S. Green Building Council: Philips Arena (Atlanta Hawks), AmericanAirlines Arena (Miami Heat), Moda Center (Portland Trail Blazers), Toyota Center (Houston Rockets), Barclays Center (Brooklyn Nets) and Amway Center (Orlando Magic).
- The Charlotte Bobcatsí Time Warner Cable Arena recycles 84% of total waste and has achieved a landfill rate of .09 pounds per attendee, ranking it amongst the lowest in the league.
- The Miami Heatís AmericanAirlines Arena saves $500,000 annually on energy and water costs. Its energy efficiency initiatives have enabled the arena to consume 53% less energy than the average facility of similar size and according to the EnergyStarís Portfolio Manager.
- Five NBA team facilities have installed solar panels in their arenas, garages or practice facilities: Golden State Warriors, Phoenix Suns, AT&T Center, Denver Nuggets and the STAPLES Center.
- The Portland Trail Blazers have demonstrated tremendous leadership in environmental stewardship. They are among the most progressive environmental innovators in all of sports, including being the first professional sports arena worldwide to achieve LEED Gold certification (June 2010) and are founding member of the Green Sports Alliance. To date, the Trail Blazers have saved approximately $500,000 after recovering their up-front green investments.
- In partnership with Christenson Electric, the Rose Garden Arena became the largest single site for electric vehicle charging in the region. Ten level-2 Blink EV charging stations were unveiled during NBA Green Week in April 2012.
- In April 2012, the Trail Blazers, in partnership with the City of Portland and Corix Utilities, unveiled the Corix Living Wall, an interactive in-arena display that educates fans about the development of Portland EcoDistricts and allows them to pledge their commitment to sustainability.
LEED Certified, 2009
LEED Silver, 2010
LEED Silver, 2013
LEED Gold, 2009
LEED Certified, 2009
LEED Silver, 2009