OAKLAND, Calif., Feb. 27 (Ticker) -- After failing to hold a 20-point third-quarter lead, the Utah Jazz turned to Matt Harpring to save the day.

Harpring forced overtime with a rare 3-pointer and scored five of his 28 points in the extra session as the Jazz recovered for a 117-108 victory over the reeling Golden State Warriors.

NBA TV highlights from

Winning for just the second time in six contests, Utah (27-29) surpassed last season's victory total and moved within 2 1/2 games of first-place Denver in the Northwest Division.

"We're fighting not only for that eighth (playoff) spot, but we're fighting to try to win the division so we need all these," said Utah guard Devin Brown, who scored five of his 10 points in overtime. "Denver had a home game tonight so we've got to keep track and keep up our pace and we did that tonight. We were able to fight back and we ended up pulling out a great win."

Despite its comeback, Golden State missed 10 free throws in the fourth quarter - including five in the last 39 seconds of regulation - giving Utah a chance in the waning moments.

"I think they were missing free throws with under a minute to go and any time you give an NBA team life, you've got to take advantage of it and we were fortunate to do that tonight," Brown said.

Harpring obliged by making just his ninth 3-pointer of the season with 1.2 seconds left to force overtime at 105-105.

"After I hit the shot, I think that lifted us in the overtime," Harpring said. "We had momentum now and we carried it through and we jumped on them early in the overtime and didn't let them come back."

The veteran forward opened the extra period with an 18-foot running jumper and a pair of foul shots for a 109-105 edge. Brown added a pair of free throws and a 3-pointer as the Jazz outscored the Warriors, 12-3, in overtime.

"You've got to try to win the game - it's an important game," said Harpring, who also grabbed 11 rebounds. "We were up big and then we were down and then we came back and it was a roller-coaster ride."

After Harpring hit a jumper to give Utah a 70-52 lead with 4:01 left in the third quarter, Golden State closed the period with an 18-6 run, capped by a 3-pointer by Jason Richardson at the horn that cut the margin to 76-70.

The Warriors maintained the pressure with a 10-2 burst early in the fourth quarter and took a 79-78 advantage with 9:52 to play when Richardson made another basket from the arc. However, he turned his left ankle on the play and briefly left the game.

"It was up to me," Richardson said. "I already knew the situation. No matter how bad it was, I was going to go back into the game. All I wanted to do was win the game."

Moments later, Richardson hobbled back on to the floor and made a driving one-handed dunk, a jumper and 3-pointer - his 10th consecutive basket - to put Golden State on top, 96-91, with 4:03 left.

Mehmet Okur had 26 points and 14 rebounds and Carlos Boozer added 11 and 19 for Utah, which made 9-of-13 from the arc and held a 57-41 rebounding edge.

"We're such a young team, we're learning every game, every night," Okur said. "At least we're trying. Some games work and some games don't. In the second half, we lost concentration out there. In overtime, we took what they gave us so we were more active and made a big shot at the end of the game."

Richardson scored 26 of his 35 points after halftime and DerekFisher added 21 with 10 assists for Golden State (24-32), which played without injured star point guard Baron Davis and suffered its fourth straight loss.

"It's the most important game to me for our playoff race," said Richardson, whose team fell four games out of the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. "I wasn't even thinking about being hurt. I'm just doing whatever I can to help this team win games. I wish I could've done a little bit more. I wish I could've hit a free throw at the end that would've sealed it."

"We battled back from 20 points down," Warriors coach Mike Montgomery said. "The guys were hustling, working and playing together. They had some energy. The game was right there. All we had to do was finish it and we didn't finish it."