NEW YORK, April 17 (Ticker) -- Tyronn Lue and the Atlanta Hawks have had a season to forget, but at least they won't become the fifth NBA team to lose 70 games.

Lue scored eight of his career high-tying 32 points in overtime to lead the Hawks to just their third victory in 33 games, a 139-135 triumph over the New York Knicks in the highest-scoring game in the league this season.

NBA TV highlights from
Josh Childress collected 22 points and 11 rebounds and fellow rookie Josh Smith added 21 and 10 for the Hawks (13-67), who had dropped 17 of their previous 18 contests. With the victory, they can lose no more than 69 games in a woeful campaign.

Although the Hawks will be finishing the worst season in franchise history, avoiding 70 losses was met with a sense of relief from Smith and Lue in the locker room.

"It feels real good," Smith said. "We're in almost every game, mostly every game. For us to finally pull one out, it gives us hope."

"That was big for us, especially the way we've been struggling all year," said Lue, who was 10-of-14 from the floor. "But we've been playing hard and playing the right way. I told the fellas that if we continued to play hard and play the right way that we'll get wins."

After Jamal Crawford nailed a 3-pointer with 2.6 seconds left in overtime to pull New York within 137-135, Smith had trouble inbounding the ball. For a split second, it appeared as if he would signal for a timeout the Hawks did not have, but he inbounded successfully to Boris Diaw, who nailed two free throws to cap the scoring with 1.9 seconds remaining.

In a game with little defense, the Hawks shot 55 percent (46-of-83) from the floor and the Knicks 51 percent (46-of-90). New York (32-48), which is tied with Toronto for last place in the Atlantic Division, made a whopping 17-of-32 3-pointers.

"We've been up and down a lot," Crawford said. "If we would have come out with more energy and told them basically that they weren't going to win the game, it wouldn't have been as close."

Crawford and Stephon Marbury scored 31 points apiece and Tim Thomas added 26 for the Knicks, who held a 114-107 lead after a 3-pointer by Thomas with 3:23 left in regulation.

After Smith - who scored 14 points in the fourth quarter - tied the game at 118-118 on a pair of free throws with 30 seconds remaining, Crawford missed a contested 3-pointer, but the rebound was tapped out of bounds by Hawks forward Tom Gugliotta with 5.4 seconds left.

Following a timeout, Marbury inbounded to Maurice Taylor, who immediately handed the ball back to the point guard. Marbury quickly was double-teamed and dished to Taylor, but the forward front-rimmed an open jumper from near the right elbow, and the game went into overtime.

The game was another agonizing close loss for the Knicks, who have lost 20 games by six points or fewer. It was especially frustrating for Marbury, who fouled out late in overtime and was visibly upset with official Luis Grillo for calling a foul when he grabbed Lue's jersey before the ball was inbounded with 15 seconds left.

"I don't know, all I know is I've seen people get tapped at the end of the game," Marbury said. "I guess it's really not our year."