LOS ANGELES, Dec. 8 (Ticker) -- The Phoenix Suns chose to live or die by the 3-pointer. Quentin Richardson rewarded them for their loyalty.

NBA TV highlights from
Richardson snapped a tie with an open 3-pointer with 6.9 seconds left, capping a wild shootout and sending the Suns to a 113-110 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers.

"The play was just for Steve Nash to get off the screen and make a play," Richardson said. "Whether he was going to shoot it or pass it to somebody was up to him. But he found me and I knocked it down."

The teams combined to tie the NBA record for 3-pointers attempted (64). But in the final seconds, only the soaring Suns were able to convert.

After Richardson's shot, Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, who finished with his second triple-double in as many games vs. Phoenix this season, missed a long attempt at the buzzer, sending the Suns to their 13th win in 14 games.

"I had a good look at that shot," Bryant said of his missed 3-pointer. "Shawn Marion was on me pretty tight. It was a tough shot 35-feet from the hoop."

On the decisive play, Nash penetrated from the top of the key and found Richardson all alone on the left wing. Richardson, who made 8-of-12 from the arc in a win over Portland on Sunday, calmly swished his shot to cap Phoenix's 16-of-34 effort from 3-point range.

"I don't think they were daring me," Richardson said. "I think it was more so them giving the respect to Stevie. They knew he could go inside and make a play. But it came out to me and my whole focus was to take the shot. I knew I was going to make it if I took the shot."

The previous three games in which a combined 64 3-pointers were hoisted ended in double overtime. The Lakers were involved in the last, a 126-115 victory over the Houston Rockets on Nov. 12, 1996.

The teams combined 30 3-pointers in the first half set a league mark, eclipsing the 28 Phoenix and the New York Knicks had Jan. 29, 1995.

The Suns rolled to a big lead in the first half before going cold as the Lakers put together a run in the third quarter. But Phoenix charged back for the second straight game, erasing a 107-94 deficit with just over five minutes remaining.

Marion made two straight 3-pointers to start a 15-0 run that lasted less than three minutes. Joe Johnson and Nash also hit from long distance in the burst, during which Los Angeles missed nine straight shots.

"We just have to get back in transition," Bryant added. "In the third quarter we did a good job of that. We got back and held them down somewhat."

In a 118-104 triumph over the Golden State Warriors on Sunday, the Suns used a 21-0 run in the fourth quarter to avoid an upset.

"We kept fighting," Richardson said. "We know it's not over until it's over. We are a team that can make runs in an instant."

Johnson was 5-of-7 from 3-point range and scored 25 points while Richardson added 21. Amare Stoudemire, whose free throw with 37 seconds left snapped a 109-109 tie, scored 23 and swiped 10 boards.

Bryant scored 20 points, grabbed 14 rebounds and dished out 11 assists but missed his final six shots and a big free throw with 27 seconds to go.

"This was a tough one," Bryant said. "They made some big shots down the stretch. Nash hit a tough three to tie it up, and before that we gave them two wide-open looks at threes."

The Lakers scored just three points in the final 5:50.

"We have it in us, and we usually hit a cylinder at some point in the game," Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said. "Tonight it just happened in the last five minutes."

Phoenix is one of three teams in the league with 16 wins after missing the playoffs last season.

"We have a healthy Stoudemire," D'Antoni said. "Steve Nash is big and Quentin Richardson tonight was big too. He's just now fitting in and learning how to play with us and Joe Johnson keeps it moving. Shawn Marion's been an All-Star. Our team this year just has a lot more talent."

Nash credited the Suns' defense for their comeback win Wednesday.

"The biggest thing was we turned up the defense," Nash said. "We were giving up a lot of put-backs and open threes. We were kind of brain dead for a while there. We turned up the clamps when we had our backs against the wall and limited them to three points in the last few minutes."