OAKLAND, Calif., Jan. 19 (Ticker) -- Kevin Garnett had 21 points, seven rebounds and seven assists and hit a clutch basket as the Minnesota Timberwolves squeaked past the Golden State Warriors, 105-102, for their 10th win in 11 games.

With Minnesota clinging to a 93-88 lead, Antawn Jamison and Danny Fortson hit consecutive buckets to cut the deficit to one point. But Garnett answered with a rainbow fadeaway jumper while falling out of bounds and the shot clock expiring to give the Timberwolves a 95-92 edge with 1:48 left.

Wally Szczerbiak hit a pair of free throws, and Golden State never got closer than three points thereafter.

NBA.comTV highlights
from Wolves-Warriors:
56k | 300k

Loren Woods goes in for a basket in Oakland.
Rocky Widner
NBAE/Getty Images
Chauncey Billups scored 21 points and Szczerbiak added 20, although he missed a pair from the line with 2.9 seconds left that could have iced the game.

Fortson gathered the rebound and flung a court-length pass to rookie Gilbert Arenas, who could not get off a shot before the buzzer.

"That was a surprise," Minnesota coach Flip Saunders said. "Wally's an 80-plus-percent free throw shooter. You wouldn't expect him to miss two in a row."

"We were going to run a play, but (Szczerbiak) missed the shot," Fortson said. "Originally we thought he was going to make the free throw and we were going to get it out of bounds to run a play. I tried to throw it up so that Gilbert could get the ball and maybe he could throw it in there and get a lucky 3-pointer."

Golden State shot a season-high 53 percent (42-of-80) and limited Minnesota to 40 percent (34-of-85). But the Wolves sank 34-of-40 free throws, while the Warriors made just 14-of-20.

"It wasn't just the free throws at the end of the game," said Warriors coach Brian Winters. "It was the free throws throughout the game. When you're the home team and the other team shoots 20 more free throws than you, I don't think that's right. I haven't seen that happen this year and I have a real problem with that."

The Wolves converted 22 Warriors turnovers into 39 points, 20 more than Golden State scored off Minnesota's 11 turnovers.

"We didn't have great rhythm tonight, but we created some turnovers and scored off them," Saunders said. "Our zone took them out of sync. When we were in it we went up. Then we go back to a man-to-man and they make a run. Our zone pretty much bailed us out today."

Golden State won the battle of the boards, 47-39, paced by Fortson's 13 rebounds, and outscored Minnesota in the paint, 60-42.

"It's just like playing an East Coast team," Garnett said. "They throw it on the glass. You can't come in here and take these guys lightly."

Minnesota point guard Terrell Brandon came off the bench to play 17 minutes and score eight points. Brandon made 4-of-4 free throws in the final 22 seconds after replacing Billups, who left the game with 32 seconds left after Jason Richardson kneed him in the right thigh. Brandon had missed the previous 16 games after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

"Flip told me to stay ready even before Chauncey got injured and I told him to put me in there if it came down to free throws," Brandon said. "I told him that there is a reason why I am leading the league in free throws. There is that time when you come in cold but you have to forget about that and shoot them with confidence, and that is what I did."

Bob Sura scored a season-high 23 points and Jamison also had 23 to lead the Warriors, who lost for the ninth time in 10 games. They have dropped four of their last five home contests.

"Antawn was terrific," Winters said. "Bobby was great off the bench. I thought everybody played well. We had nice efforts from a lot of people. It was a good game."

The bench, paced by Sura's 23 points and Erick Dampier's 12, outscored the Wolves' reserves, 46-26.

The first half saw seven lead changes and seven ties and ended at 51-51 after Minnesota erased a 48-39 deficit over the final 4 1/2 minutes.

With the score knotted early in the third quarter, Minnesota went on a 12-2 run to take the game's sole double-digit lead at 73-63 on a pair of free throws by Rasho Nesterovic with 4:35 left. Golden State cut the deficit to 77-75 entering the final period.

"We're playing hard, but it isn't good enough," Fortson said. "But you know what, we're continuing to play hard and eventually the ball is going to bounce our way. Eventually, we are going to get a call from the referees and eventually things will turn around."