** Traded to Houston on Draft night
Howard Cooper: Motiejunas out to prove he's no typical European big man
* Left handed and long
* Great mix of size, length, agility, & mobility
* Really runs the floor well and has good footwork, quick feet
* Good technique & efficient shooter with range beyond International 3
* Good with both hands around the basket
* Very hand-skilled big guy, can push it in transition, good use of dribble vs. bigs
* Excellent pick-and-pop option to shoot it or drive vs. closeout
* For unknown reasons he is inconsistent from the FT line
* Shows youth on occasion, will become passive or take a "backseat"
* Needs to get stronger but he's putting on weight at a natural pace and filling out
* Not a great defender, should be a great shot blocker (long lefty)
* Needs to pursue boards harder, only 4.1 rpg in Italy Lega
Lottery pick potential, should be a first-round lock. You won't find a guy with this size and skill in college basketball this year.
Playing very well in Italy's top division and in EuroCup competition.
2010-11 Benetton Treviso – Italy Lega: 23 mpg, 12.4 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.1apg. FG 58%, 3PT 36%, FT 74%
Benetton Treviso – Eurocup: 26 mpg, 11.2 ppg, 5.3 rpg. FG 51%, 3PT 19%, FT 62%
Donatas was named MVP of the U18 Eurobasket in 2008. He averaged 18.2 points, 10.2 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.8 blocks per game. He won the silver medal after falling in the final game against host team Greece. He led Zalgiris Kaunas junior team to the final victory in Euroleague Junior Championship 2007.
Reminds me of:
Was a young Toni Kukoc becoming a mix of Andrea Bargnani and Pau Gasol
What the Experts Say:
Chris Denker - NetScouts Basketball
"As a younger kid, he moved and handled the ball like a small forward. With his length, offensive skill, and being left-handed it was hard not to think of Toni Kukoc, however his game is changing as his body changes and he's becoming more of a trail-post player and pick and pop guy, similar to Andrea Bargnani."
Current contract and team:
Plays for Benetton Treviso in Italy's top league
Chris Denker and Carl Berman are Managing Partners of NetScouts Basketball, "The International Basketball Connection."
|Benetton Treviso (Italy)|
|Zalgiris Kaunas - Baltic League, Elite Division|
|Three-point field goals: 1-for-3 (.333).|
Three-point field goals: 2007-08, 0-for-2 (.000); 2009-10, 0-for-2
Totals: 0-for-3 (.000).
*Euroleague Qualifying Round
|Aisciai Kaunas - Baltic League, Challenge Cup|
|Three-point field goals: 17-for-55 (.309).|
|Aisciai - Lithuania - LKL|
|Three-point field goals: 20-for-45 (.444).|
|Benetton Treviso - Italian Legabasket Serie A|
|Three-point field goals: 2009-10, 10-for-28 (.357); 2010-11, 18-for-41 (.439). Totals: 28-for-69 (.406).|
|Benetton Treviso - ULEB Eurocup|
|Three-point field goals: 2009-10, 5-for-7 (.714); 2010-11, 4-for-26 (.154). Totals: 9-for-33 (.273).|