2012-13 NBA D-League Clinching Scenarios
Click Here for More on the NBA D-League's Unique Playoff Structure
NBA D-LEAGUE PLAYOFF TEAMS (IN ORDER OF BEST RECORD) Italics indicate Division Champion
1. Bakersfield Jam (36-14)
2. Rio Grande Valley Vipers (35-15)
3. Santa Cruz Warriors (32-18)
4. Canton Charge (30-20)
5. Fort Wayne Mad Ants (27-23) Won multiple team tie-breaker over Austin and Tulsa by virtue of their .667 Winning Percentage (2-1) over Austin and Tulsa
6. Austin Toros (27-23) Finished second in multiple team tie-breaker with Fort Wayne and Tulsa by virtue of their .500 Winning Percentage (3-3) vs. Fort Wayne and Tulsa
7. Tulsa 66ers (27-23) Finished third in multiple team tie-breaker with Fort Wayne and Austin by virtue of their .429 Winning Percentage (3-4) vs. Austin and Fort Wayne
8. Maine Red Claws (26-24) Won Tie-Breaker over Erie by winning the season series 5-4
NOTE: For the Opening Round, the Division Winners will select opponents consisting of Fort Wayne, Austin, Tulsa and Maine. Santa Cruz (The Wild Card with the best record) will play the team not chosen by the three division winners in the opening round of the playoffs.
WHAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT:
Maine Clinched a playoff berth following Iowas victory over Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls was eliminated from playoff contention with a loss to Iowa
WHAT HAPPENED FRIDAY NIGHT:
Bakersfield has secured the best record AND West Division Title by defeating Santa Cruz
Rio Grande Valley will have the second best record with their win over Austin
Canton will go into the playoffs with the fourth best record after defeating Reno (They will still select an opponent third in the opening round due to their East Division Title)
Santa Cruz will enter the playoffs with the third best record and will play the team not selected by the division champions in the opening round
Fort Wayne has clinched a playoff berth with their win over Sioux Falls
Tulsa has clinched a playoff berth after Fort Wayne defeated Sioux Falls (They own all multiple team tie-breakers at 26 wins)
Erie has been eliminated from playoff contention (They own no tie-breakers at 26 wins)
WHAT HAPPENED THURSDAY NIGHT:
Austin clinched a playoff berth after Tulsa was defeated by Iowa
Sioux Falls or Maine will join Austin, Tulsa and Fort Wayne to make up the four wild cards with the lowest records. Making them the teams eligible to be selected by the Division Winners for the Opening Round of the Playoffs. Santa Cruz will be matched with the team unselected by the three division winners for the Opening Round.
1. The three division winners and the five other teams with the best regular season records, regardless of division, will qualify for the playoffs. The five other teams are known as the wildcard teams.
2. The eight teams will be seeded based on regular season record only. The division winners may not necessarily be seeded 1, 2, and 3.
3. The division winners will pick their first-round opponent among the four wildcard teams with the worst regular-season records during a teleconference on April 7, 2013 at a TBD time. Division winners will make selections in order of their regular season records.
4. The team with the better regular season record will have home-court advantage (host game 2 and 3, if necessary), regardless of division-winning status, throughout the three rounds of the postseason.
5. The NBA D-League will announce the first-round match-ups and schedule during the evening of April 7, 2013.