Game Recaps - Day 6

Summer League Main Page | Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6 | Day 7

Sixers 18 20 21 16 75
Knicks 16 15 18 21 70
Download Box Score
Laron Profit scored 22 points and the Philadelphia 76ers withstood a late rally by the New York Knicks to post a 75-70 win, in the finale for both teams at the Reebok Pro Summer League. The 76ers (3-3) nearly blew a 10-point fourth quarter lead, but made 4-of-6 free throws in the game's final 33.4 seconds to hold on to the win.

Philadelphia led 59-49 after three quarters, largely due to poor shooting by the Knicks (2-4). New York shot just 36 percent through three quarters. But the Knicks slowly started to chip away at the Philadelphia lead in the fourth quarter. A pair of free throws by Matt Carroll, a driving lay-up by Billy Keys, a three-pointer off a fast-break by Troy Ostler and a jumper by Carroll brought the Knicks back to within 6, at 63-57 with 6:08 left in the game. The teams traded baskets over the next few minutes and the 76ers went back up by 6 points when Jeff Myers hit one of his two free throws. Frank Williams then hit a lay-up to cut it to 72-68. The Knicks fouled Profit who made one of his two free throws, and then got the ball to Williams who made a lay-up to cut it to 73-70 with 13.9 seconds left. Again, the Knicks had to foul, this time sending Myers to the line. Myers, who had 13 assists in the game, calmly hit both free throws to ice the game.

The 76ers had broken open a close game in the second quarter. Tied at 29-29 with 3:42 left before the half, they went on a 9-2 run to close out the half, on jump shots by Ron Rollerson and Efthimios Rentzias, a three-point play by Profit, and a lay-up by Kyle Korver to take a 38-31 lead at halftime. A pair of baskets by Rollerson to start the third quarter gave Philadelphia a double-digit lead at 42-31. It put the Knicks in a hole from which they could not come out, despite their late rally.

Rollerson scored 16 points for the 76ers and Ken Johnson chipped in with 13. Carroll led the Knicks with 16 points off the bench.

Both teams now head to Salt Lake City, Utah where they will compete in the Reebok Rocky Mountain Revue.

Written by: Mike Swartz

Spurs 24 22 13 21 80
Wizards 20 16 13 18 67
Download Box Score
Nate Johnson and Devin Brown combined for 35 points as the San Antonio Spurs remained undefeated and clinched the championship of the 2003 Reebok Pro Summer League, with an 80-67 win over the Washington Wizards (2-3). The Spurs had to overcome a 27-point effort by Washington's Juan Dixon to pick up their fifth straight win.

The Spurs have hardly been challenged this week. They have averaged almost 80 points per game and have allowed an average of only 65, and have won by at least 11 points in four of their five games.

After taking a 59-49 after three quarters, the Spurs put the game away with an 18-3 run to start the fourth quarter. Leading 69-56, the Spurs turned to Johnson to put the game away. He converted a Gill pass for a fast-break alley oop dunk, stole a Steve Blake pass and scored on a fast break lay-up. On the next possession, made a reverse lay-up and then stole the ball from Evans and fed Kaspers Kambala, who was fouled and made a pair of free throws. Suddenly, the Spurs led by 21, 77-56. A pair of baskets by Dixon, including a three-pointer at the buzzer made it look close, as the Spurs walked off with another easy win.

It took the Spurs a while to get going in this game. After a Maurice Evans basket brought the Wizards to within 2 points, 34-32 with 5:41 left in the first half, the Spurs called a timeout. Whatever they discussed on the sidelines worked as they went on a 12-4 run to close out the half ahead by 10 points. Eddie Gill stole a Dixon pass and fed Johnson for a fast break lay-up. Johnson then hit a 19-footer and, after a Washington turnover, Ernest Brown hit a jumper to make it 40-34. A couple of minutes later, Ernest Brown hit a pair of free throws to make it an 8-point game. Washington had a chance to cut into the Spurs' lead before halftime but Dixon committed a pair of turnovers, the second one leading to a slam dunk by Devin Brown with 31.4 seconds left in the half, to allow the Spurs to take a 46-36 lead into the locker room.

Dixon's offensive output was not nearly enough as he got little support from his teammates. No other Wizards player scored in double figures, while four Spurs had at least 10 points, led by Johnson (18), Devin Brown (17), Damone Brown and Ernest Brown (10 points each). Guyton added 9 points off the bench for the Spurs.

Written by: Mike Swartz

Nets 23 14 14 31 82
Mavericks 21 8 22 26 77
Download Box Score
Ace Custis hit a three-point shot with 7:21 left in the game to break a 57-57 tie and start the New Jersey Nets on a 23-13 run giving them an 82-77 victory over the Dallas Mavericks at the Reebok Pro Summer League on Saturday. The Nets had a balanced scoring attack, placing four players in double figures.

The teams entered the game tied at 51-51. Two baskets by Dallas's Jemeil Rich and a pair of free-throws by Marcus Goree were countered by baskets by Billy Thomas, Custis and Donny Marshall. Then Custis hit his only three-point attempt of the game to give the Nets a lead they would never relinquish. Brian Scalabrine (14 points, 9 rebounds and 5 assists) hit a pair of free-throws and, after a Derek Hood jumper, Marshall hit a three to extend New Jersey's lead to 6, 65-59 midway through the quarter. Rich's three-point play cut the deficit to 3, but Scalabrine answered with a short hook shot. Hood hit a pair of free-throws but again, New Jersey answered, this time with Zoran Planinic driving for a lay-up to make it 69-64.

After a Goree lay-up, a Jonathan Kerner lay-up and a 14-foot jumper by Tamar Slay extended the lead to 7, 73-66. A tip-in by Hood was countered by a Marshall driving lay-up and the lead was back to 7, 75-68 with 1:11 left in the game. Another basket by Goree got the Mavericks back into striking distance, but the clock was not on their side. Unable to create a turnover, the Mavericks had to foul and the Nets took advantage of their opportunities at the line. Slay made 1-of-2 with 45.4 seconds left. Dallas could not score on its next possession and Slay was fouled again and this time hit both of his free throws with 26.6, seconds left to make it 80-70. A pair of baskets by Goree, including a three-pointer with 2.0 seconds left made it closer, but still a loss for the Mavericks.

The exciting second half followed what was, at best, a lackluster first half, especially the second quarter. The Nets shot just 7-for-19, (36.8 percent). Luckily for them, Dallas shot just 2-for-13 (15.4 percent) for 8 points in the quarter and the Nets were able to take an 8-point lead into the locker room at the half, 37-29.

Marshall, one of the league's leading scorers at 19.8 points per game, led all scorers with 18 points for the Nets. Rich led the Mavericks with 16 points and added 8 assists. Alston (15 points), Goree (13 points) and Hood (12 points) all scored in double-figures for the Mavericks.

Written by: Mike Swartz

Atlanta 21 20 16 32 89
Boston 19 15 19 27 80
Download Box Score
There is an adage in basketball that it doesn't matter who is on the floor when the game starts, but who is on the floor when it ends that matters, which is used to show the importance of a team's bench. This was never more evident than in the Atlanta Hawks' 89-80 win over the Boston Celtics, at the Reebok Pro Summer League on Saturday. Charles Smith, Elton Tyler, Damon Thornton, Tommy Adams and Chris Porter all came off the bench to combine for 60 of Atlanta's 89, points to lead the Hawks to the win.

Atlanta (3-2) entered the fourth quarter with a 57-53 lead when its bench went to work. Adams hit an 11-foot jumper and a pair of three-pointers and Porter sandwiched a pair of lay-ups around a pair of free-throws to give the Hawks a 79-67 lead, with 4:03 left. The Celtics (2-3) could not get any closer than 9 points the rest of the way.

The Hawks starters also contributed to this win, leading a 9-2 run midway through the second quarter to allow the Hawks to break the game open. Leading 26-25, Atlanta got a pair of free throws each from Tyler and Jerry Holman, a fast-break lay-up by Dan Dickau off a steal, a lay-up by Tahj Holden and a three-pointer by Adams, to extend their lead to 37-28, as Boston went 3:32 without a field-goal. Celtics rookie Marcus Banks stopped the run with an exclamation point making a beautiful move to the hoop for a reverse lay-up which brought the packed house at U Mass Boston to its feet, followed by a 22-foot jumper off a fast break. But the momentum swung right back to the Hawks as Boris Diaw made a reverse dunk, Adams stole a Kedrick Brown pass and went in for a lay-up, and Atlanta had its 9 point lead back. A Rodney Mott fast-break lay-up made it 41-34 at the half.

The Celtics got off to a strong start Banks had 6 points in the first 6:29 of the game and the Celtics led 15-8. But when Smith made a three-point play, the Hawks had their first lead of the game, 21-19 as the quarter ended.

Boston got another big contribution from two of its picks in the 2003 NBA draft. Top pick Banks led all scorers with 18 points and dished out a game high 8 assists. Second round pick Brandon Hunter continued to impress with 16 points and a game high 13 rebounds. Lenny Cooke came off the Boston bench to score 10 points in just 8 minutes of action. But it was the Atlanta bench that made the difference. Smith led the Hawks with 16 points, Adams had 15 points and Porter chipped in with 14 points.

Written by: Mike Swartz

Milwaukee 31 29 24 16 100
Cleveland 17 26 14 23 80
Download Box Score
The game was billed as the first match-up between two of the top guards picked in the 2003 draft, LeBron James and T.J. Ford. But it turned into the Marcus Haislip show. The Milwaukee forward scored 18 points and pulled down 9 rebounds to lead the Bucks (2-3) to a 100-80 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers (2-3) in the nightcap of Saturday's action at the Reebok Pro Summer League.

That is not to say that either James or Ford played poorly. Ford played one of his best games of the week, with 10 points, 11 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals. James had 14 points, 9 rebounds and 5 assists. But it was Haislip who came up big, early. He scored 5 of Milwaukee's first 8 points in the game's first 2:43, to give the Bucks an early lead. The Bucks outscored the Cavaliers 20-9 over the next 6:53 to take a commanding 17 point lead, before Dajuan Wagner made a three-point play to make it 31-17 at the end of the first quarter.

Any doubt as to the outcome of this game was erased in the first half of the third quarter. The Bucks started the quarter with a 16-1 run, that lasted until the 3:46 mark of the quarter. Norm Richardson started the run with a three-pointer and ended it with a 20-foot jumper. In between, the Bucks got a pair of baskets by Szymon Szewczyk, a three-pointer from Haislip and baskets from Dan Gadzuric and Kamahl Mosley. By the time the Cavaliers knew what hit them, they were down 76-44. Although they rallied somewhat in the fourth quarter, the closest they could get was to within 19 points late in the fourth quarter, eventually losing by 20.

Lamont Barnes (12 points) and Terrell McIntyre (10 points) contributed off the bench for the Bucks who got at least 5 points from all 11 of their players.

Written by: Mike Swartz

Powered by Comcast SportsNet

Latest News


Celtics Polo shirts for men, women and kids.

@Celtics on Twitter

Follow the Celtics on Twitter