Celtics Cowens Camps Presented by Reebok
BOSTON (February 29, 2012) – The Boston Celtics and the Dave Cowens School have announced a new partnership to form the Celtics Camps with the Dave Cowens School presented by Reebok, combining two of the most successful basketball camps in the New England region. The Dave Cowens Basketball School brings forty years of camp management and coaching experience to the partnership, and combined with the Celtics successful nine year day camp program, participating children will benefit from improved instruction and an enhanced overall camp experience.
Camps will run for ten weeks this summer at four locations, including the Celtics Official Training Facility in Waltham, MA, Salve Regina University in Newport, RI, Wheaton College in Norton, MA, and for the first time, the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center in Boston.
“This basketball school is a reflection of the tremendous amount of dedicated instruction I have received throughout my career as a student-athlete, a professional basketball player and coach,” Dave Cowens, President/Director of the Dave Cowens Basketball School said. “By joining forces with the Boston Celtics and their camps, we will be able to improve and expand our service of providing an instructional and motivational program to young athletes so they might better understand the skills and disciplines associated with basketball.”
The Celtics Camps with the Dave Cowens School will offer both day and overnight camp options for boys and girls during the 2012 summer season. Dates for the camps are as follows:
- June 25-29 (Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center - Roxbury, MA) (boys and girls 10-18 years old)
- July 9-13 (Celtics Training Facility - Waltham, MA) (boys and girls 10-18 years old)
- July 23-27 (Celtics Training Facility - Waltham, MA) (boys and girls 10-18 years old)
- July 30-August 3 (Salve Regina University – Newport, RI) (boys and girls 10-18 years old)
- August 6-10 (Celtics Training Facility – Waltham, MA) (boys and girls 10-18 years old)
- August 13-17 (Celtics Training Facility – Waltham, MA) (boys and girls 10-18 years old)
- August 20-24 (Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center – Roxbury, MA) (boys and girls 10-18 years old)
- July 8-13 (Wheaton College – Norton, MA) (boys and girls 12-18 years old)
- July 15-20 (Wheaton College – Norton, MA) (boys 10-16 years old)
- July 22-27 (Wheaton College – Norton, MA) (boys 12-18 years old)
The curriculum at the Celtics Camps with the Dave Cowens School will include low coach to player ratios, an equitable and competitive system of organized play, daily emphasis on shooting, rebounding, ball handling, defensive and other fundamental skills. Each camper is encouraged to develop his or her own individual skills while also focusing on team involvement. Camp staff, along with guest lecturers from the Celtics organization, will demonstrate the game’s finer points, and the program will include a minimum of two games per day.
“The Celtics Camps with the Dave Cowens School will provide a fun and safe environment for participants to learn basketball the Dave Cowens and the Boston Celtics way,” Celtics Vice President Ted Dalton said. “For years, the Dave Cowens Basketball School was a staple during the summer in the Boston area, and our new partnership will greatly impact the level of instruction and improve the overall camp experience for up and coming basketball players.”