Pierce Earns Player of the Week Honors
NEW YORK, Feb. 6, 2012 – The Boston Celtics’ Paul Pierce and the San Antonio Spurs’ Tony Parker today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Monday, Jan. 30, through Sunday, Feb. 5.
In helping guide the Celtics to a 4-0 week, Pierce averaged a team-high 22.0 points to go along with 6.3 assists and 5.8 rebounds. In Boston’s 91-89 home win over New York Friday, Pierce scored a game-high 30 points to go along with seven rebounds and five assists.
Parker averaged team highs in points (22.3 ppg), assists (8.0 apg) and steals (1.5 spg), as the Spurs went 4-0. Parker scored a season-high 42 points and added nine assists Saturday in a 107-96 win over the NBA’s top team, the Oklahoma City Thunder. In the process, Parker passed Avery Johnson as the franchise’s all-time leader in assists.
Here is a recap of the week for Pierce and Parker:
Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics
- Jan. 31 @ Cleveland: Recorded 20 points, six assists and three steals in a 93-90 win over the Cavaliers.
- Feb. 1 vs. Toronto: Tallied 17 points, eight assists and six rebounds in 26 minutes in a 100-64 victory over the Raptors.
- Feb. 5 vs. Memphis: Closed the week with 21 points, six rebounds and six assists during a 98-80 victory over the Grizzlies.
Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
- Jan. 30 @ Memphis: Recorded a game-high 12 assists to go along with five points, five rebounds, and two steals in an 83-73 victory.
- Feb. 1 vs. Houston: Tallied 24 points, four assists, and two steals during a 99-91 win over the Rockets.
- Feb. 2 vs. New Orleans: Scored 18 points and added seven assists and five rebounds as the Spurs bested the Hornets 93-81.