Ref Quiz Explanation
ANSWER - TRUE – RULE 12B SECTION I PENALTY 1 AND SECTION VII (4):
The offender is charged with a personal foul. The offended team is charged with a team foul if the illegal contact was caused by the defender. There is no team foul if there are personal fouls on one member of each team or the personal foul is against an offensive player. The offended team is awarded (1) the ball out-of-bounds on the sideline at the nearest spot where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended if an offensive foul is assessed.
2. Player A1 shoots an air-ball which is clearly rebounded by Player A4. While the ball was in the air, Players A5 and B5 are called for a double foul. The ball will be jumped at center circle between any 2 players in the game with a new 24.
ANSWER - TRUE - Rule 12B SECTION VI D:
If a double foul occurs with neither team in possession, or when the ball is in the air on an unsuccessful field goal or free throw attempt, play will be resumed with a jump ball at the center circle between any two opponents in the game at that time. If injury, ejection or disqualification makes it necessary for any player to be replaced, no substitute may participate in the jump ball. The jumper shall be select-ed from one of the remaining players in the game.
3. Player A1 jumps to shoot a successful 2-point basket. While in the air but before the release, defender B3 pushes screener A3 and a foul is whistled. The basket shall count and Player A3 will receive one free throw attempt.
ANSWER - TRUE – a maximum of 3 points may be scored on a successful 2-point basket.
4. Player A1 is fouled and awarded 2 free throw attempts. Before he attempts his free throws Player A1 is ejected from the game. The coach of Team B will select the shooter from Team A’s bench.
ANSWER - TRUE – RULE 9 SECTION II A (1):
If the offended player is injured or is ejected from the game and cannot attempt the awarded free throw(s), the opposing coach shall select, from his opponent's bench, the player who will replace the injured player. That player will attempt the free throw(s) and the injured player will not be permitted to re-enter the game. The substitute must remain in the game until the next dead ball.
5. Players not on the lane line during a free throw attempt may not break the plane of the 3-point line until the ball is released.
ANSWER - FLASE – PLAYERS MAY NOT BE TOUCHING THE LINE OF THE FLOOR INSIDE THE LINE WHEN THE BALL IS RELEASED.
6. Player B1 flagrantly pushes Player A2 into shooter A1 during an unsuccessful field goal attempt. Player A1 will attempt 2 free throw attempts.
ANSWER - TRUE – IF THE FIELD GOAL WAS SUCCESSFUL, PLAYER A2 WOULD SHOOT 2 FREE THROWS TO SCORE ONE POINT. A MAXIMUM OF FOUR POINTS CAN BE SCORED ON THIS PLAY.
7. Player A1 gathers the ball, clearly jumps off his right foot and lands with both feet simultaneously. Player A1 may NOT pivot.
ANSWER - TRUE – THIS IS AN EARLY GATHER (TRUE JUMP STOP) AND NO PIVOT IS ALLOWED.
8. Player A1 scores a successful basket as the horn sounds to end the period. When the official goes to look at the monitor, the timer informs him/her that the clock stopped briefly on the last possession. The official will use replay to see if and how long the clock was stopped.
ANSWER - FLASE – THE OFFICIALS MAY NOT USE REPLAY TO DETERMINE IF OR FOR HOW LONG A CLOCK MALFUNCATIONED.
9. Defender B1 knocks the ball out-of-bounds in Team A’s frontcourt. The official allows Team B 30 seconds to treat bleeding playerB5. Team B may substitute B1, B2 and B3.
ANSWER - TRUE – THE BALL WAS KNOCKED OUT-OF-BOUNDS IN THE FRONTCOURT AND THEREFORE TEAM B MAY SUBSTITUTE ALL PLAYERS IN THE GAME.
10. The slot official whistles a defensive 3 second violation when the ball is near the left sideline. Following the free throw, the ball will be inbound at the free throw line extended on the left sideline.
ANSWER - TRUE – RULE 10 SECTION VII PENALTY:
A technical foul shall be assessed. The offensive team retains pos-session at the free throw line extended. The shot clock shall remain the same as when play was interrupted or reset to 14 seconds, whichever is greater.
11. A players dribble ends when he permits the ball to come to a rest while he is in control of it.
ANSWER - TRUE – RULE 4 SECTION III A (2):
A dribble is movement of the ball, caused by a player in control, who throws or taps the ball into the air or to the floor. The dribble ends when the dribbler:
(1) Touches the ball simultaneously with both hands
(2) Permits the ball to come to rest while he is in control of it
(3) Tries for a field goal
(4) Throws a pass
(5) Touches the ball more than once while dribbling, before it touches the floor
(6) Loses control
(7) Allows the ball to become dead
12. It is an automatic technical foul if a player slaps the backboard following a dunk.
ANSWER - FLASE – THE PLAYER MUST GAIN HEIGHT BY PULLING HIMSELF UP ON THE BASKET.
13. Player A1 is fouled at the start of his shooting motion and then passes the ball. Player A1 will receive 2 free throw attempts (penalty not in affect).
ANSWER - FLASE – PLAYER A1’S CONTINUOUS SHOOTING MOTION ENDED WHEN HE PASSED THE BALL.
14. Any player in the game who “head butts” an opponent should be assessed a FF2 and ejected.
ANSWER - TRUE – ‘HEAD BUTTS’ ARE CONSIDERED UNNECESSARY AND EXCESSIVE AND CARRY A FLAGRANT FOUL #2 PENALTY.
15. Player A1’s field goal attempt is in the air when the horn sounds to end the period. Defender B5 realizes the ball is going to be short and jumps to catch the ball but it bounces off his hand and into the basket. No points should be scored since the horn sounded BEFORE the ball was touched by B5.
ANSWER - TRUE – THE FIELD GOAL ATTEMPT ENDED WHEN THE BALL WAS SHORT AND DID NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO SCORE. THE ACCIDENTAL TAPPING OF THE BALL INTO THE GOAL WAS AFTER 0:00.
16. Player A1’s pass from the foul line to Player A2 in the corner is deflected into Team A’s basket. The deflection occurs after the horn sounds on the shot clock. The basket shall count.
ANSWER - FLASE – THIS IS A 24 SECOND VIOLATION AS THE HORN SOUNDED ON THE PASS. IN ORDER TO SCORE POINTS AFTER THE HORN WHEN A DEFENDER TOUCHES THE A BALL, A FIELD GOAL ATTEMPT (LIVE BALL FROM THE PLAYING COURT IN FLIGHT TOWARDS THE BASKET) MUST BEGIN BEFORE THE HORN. THE SAME WOULD BE TRUE FOR THE GAME CLOCK.
17. Player A1 is fouled at .2 while attempting a field goal and the clock runs to 0:00. Player A1 releases his successful shot following the horn. Two points shall be scored.
ANSWER - TRUE – THE GAME CLOCK WILL BE RESET TO .2 WHEN THE FOUL OCCURRED AND CONTINUATION IS ALLOWED AS AFTER ANY FOUL WHILE IN THE ACT OF SHOOTING AND THE CLOCK STOPPED.
18. While Player A1 is dribbling the ball in his frontcourt, a double foul is called on Players A5 and B5 with the shot clock at 9. Team A will inbound on the sideline nearest where Player A1 was dribbling but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended with the shot clock reset to 14.
ANSWER - TRUE – RULE 12B SECTION VI C:
If a double foul occurs, the team in possession of the ball at the time of the call shall retain possession. Play is resumed on the sideline, nearest the point where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extend-ed. The 24-second clock is reset to 24 seconds if the ball is to be inbounded in the team's backcourt or stay the same or reset to 14, whichever is greater, if the ball is to be inbounded in the frontcourt.
19. During Player A1’s successful free throw attempt which will remain in play, a double foul is called on Players A5 and B5 while the ball was in the air. The ball will be jumped at center circle between any 2 players in the game with a new 24.
ANSWER - FLASE – RULE 12B SECTION VI E:
If a double foul occurs on a successful field goal or free throw attempt, the team that has been scored upon will inbound the ball at the baseline as after any other score.
20. Player A1 is fouled in the act of shooting a successful basket and then the horn sounds on the shot clock before he releases the ball. The basket shall count and Player A1 will receive 1 free throw attempt.
ANSWER - TRUE – THE SHOT CLOCK SHOULD BE STOPPED WHEN THE FOUL OCCURS AND THEREFORE THE HORN NEVER SHOULD HAVE SOUNDED. THIS IS THE SAME PROCEDURE USED WITH THE GAME CLOCK. AS LONG AS THE FOUL OCCURS BEFORE THE HORN (00), CONTINUATION IS ALLOWED.