Celtics Related Books
Celtics Related Books
The Boston Celtics and the National Basketball Association date back to when the league was formed in 1946. There have been many classic moments on the famed parquet floor in historic Boston Garden throughout the years from that inaugural year through 1995, when the Garden was replaced by the FleetCenter, and now, the TD Banknorth Garden. Just like the exciting and special moments, there were talented and gifted players, the very best coaches and an organization that had unique and dedicated people who gave the team Celtics Pride and mystique.
These rare moments and extra special individuals can be seen on video tape or DVD or on a classic television show. But did you know that there are over 50 books written about the Celtics, a special Celtics season or about a coach, player or team executive?
Celtics.com has compiled a list of many of the famous books that have been written over the years. We hope you enjoy reading through these publications for the first time, or perhaps you'll revisit an old favorite again.
This list is a reference for fans and media; books cannot be purchased through the Boston Celtics office.
Celtics-Related Books, Published as of September, 2004
RED AUERBACH: AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY by Arnold 'Red' Auerbach and Joe Fitzgerald; G.P. Putnam's Son, New York; 1977.
- BASKETBALL FOR THE PLAYER, THE FAN & THE COACH by Arnold 'Red' Auerbach; Simon & Schuster, New York; 1975.
- RED AUERBACH - ON AND OFF THE COURT by Arnold 'Red' Auerbach with Joe Fitzgerald; Macmillian Publishing Co., 1974.
- THE BOSTON CELTICS: A CHAMPIONSHIP TRADITION by Thomas Henshaw; Prentice- Hall, Inc.; Engelwood Cliffs, NJ, The Stuart L. Daniels Co., 1974.
- THAT CHAMPIONSHIP FEELING: THE STORY OF THE BOSTON CELTICS by Joe Fitzgerald; The Charles Scribner's Sons, New York; 1975.
- THE WORLD'S GREATEST TEAM: A PORTRAIT OF THE BOSTON CELTICS, 1957-69 by Jeff Greenfield; The Charles Scribner's Sons, New York; 1976.
- CELTICS PRIDE by Bob Ryan; Little, Brown & Co.;1975.
- BOB COUSY - THE KILLER INSTINCT by Bob Cousy with John Devaney; Random House, New York; 1975.
- BASKETBALL - CONCEPTS & TECHNIQUES by Bob Cousy and Frank Power, Jr.; Allyn and Bacon, Inc., Boston; 1970.
- HONDO - CELTIC MAN IN MOTION by John Havlicek and Bob Ryan; Prentice- Hall, Inc., 1977.
- HEINSOHN, DON'T YOU EVER SMILE? by Tommy Heinsohn with Leonard Lewin; Doubleday & Co., Inc., 1976.
- THE SHORT SEASON: A BOSTON CELTICS DIARY, 1977-78 by John Powers, Harper & Row Publisher; 1979.
- GO UP FOR GLORY by Bill Russell as told to William McSweeney; Coward, McCann & Geoghegan, Inc.; 1966.
- SECOND WIND (The Memoirs of an Opinionated Man) by Bill Russell and Taylor Branch, Random House; 1979.
- THROUGH THE HOOP: A Season with the Celtics by Pamela R. Schuyler, Houghton Mifflin, Boston, MA; 1974.
- THE PICTURE HISTORY OF THE BOSTON CELTICS by George Sullivan; The Bobbs-Merrill Co., Inc.;1981.
- BASKETBALL'S MAGNIFICENT BIRD - THE LARRY BIRD STORY by Frederick Lynn Corn, Random House, New York; 1982.
- LARRY BIRD'S BASKETBALL BIRDWISE by Larry Bird with John Bischoff; The Phoenix Projects, Terre Haute, IN; 1983.
- THE 1984 CELTICS - SOAR LIKE A BIRD by James A. Peterson Ph.D. and Susan L. Peterson, New American Library - A Signet Book, New York; 1984.
- BIRD ON A BASKETBALL - How to Strategies from the Great Celtics Champion by Larry Bird with John Bischoff; Addison-Wesley, Co., Reading, MA;1984.
- REBOUND: The Autobiography of K.C. Jones and an Inside Look at the World Champion Boston Celtics with Jack Warner, Quinlan Press, Boston, MA;1985.
- FORTY EIGHT MINUTES - A Night in the Life of the NBA by Bob Ryan and Terry Pluto, Macmillan Publishing Co.; 1987.
- DON'T BE DENIED - MY STORY by M.L. Carr with Bob Schron, Quinlan Press, Boston, MA; 1987.
- GIVE 'EM THE HOOK by Tommy Heinsohn and Joe Fitzgerald, Prentice- Hall Press, New York; 1988.
- THE LAST LOUD ROAR by Bob Cousy with Ed Linn; Prentice- Hall, Inc., New York; 1964.
- BOSTON CELTICS - FOUR DECADES OF EXCELLENCE by Special Productions, Inc., Denver; 1985.
- THE MAKING OF AN AMERICAN LEDGEND - BIRD by Lee Daniel Levine; McGraw- Hill Book Co., New York; 1988.
- THE BIRD ERA - A HISTORY OF THE BOSTON CELTICS 1978-1988 by Bob Schron and Kevin Stevens; Quinlan Press, Boston, MA; 1988.
- COUSY ON THE CELTIC MYSTIQUE by Bob Cousy and Bob Ryan, McGraw-Hill Publishing Co.; 1988.
- THE OFFICIAL BOSTON CELTICS GREENBOOK ('88-89, '89-90, '90-91) by Roland Lazenby; Taylor Publishing Co., Dallas, TX; 1989, 1990, 1991.
- THE OFFICIAL BOSTON CELTICS GREENBOOK ('91-92) by Roland Lazenby; Jefferson Street Press, Dallas, TX; 1992.
- LEGACY - The Official Boston Celtics 1992-93 Greenbook by Roland Lazenby; Longstreet Press, Inc., Marietta, GA; 1992.
- HOOPS - Behind the Scenes with the Boston Celtics photographs by Henry Horenstein, text by Brendan Boyd and Robert Garrett; Pond Press Book and published simultaneously in Canada by Little, Brown & Co., 1989.
- THE BOSTON CELTICS - The History, Legends & Images of America's Most Celebrated Team by Bob Ryan and photographs by Dick Raphael, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Inc., Reading, MA; 1989.
- DRIVE - THE STORY OF MY LIFE by Larry Bird with Bob Ryan; Doubleday, New York; 1989.
- EVERGREEN - The Boston Celtics: A History in the Words of Their Players, Coaches, Fans & Foes From 1946 to the Present by Dan Shaughnessy, St. Martin's Press, New York; 1990.
- UNFINISHED BUSINESS - On and Off the Court with the 1990-91 Boston Celtics by Jack McCallum; Summit Books, New York; 1992.
- THE SELLING OF THE GREEN - The Financial Rise and Moral Decline of the Boston Celtics by Harvey Araton and Filip Bondy, Harper Collins Publisher, New York; 1992.
- MBA * - MANAGEMENT BY AUERBACH by Red Auerbach with Ken Dooley; Macmillan Publishing Co., New York; 1991.
- BASKETBALL'S GREAT DYNASTIES - THE CELTICS by Jack Clary; Smithmark Publishers, Inc., New York; 1992.
- FEELINGS - Private Thoughts and Poems by Johnny Most; Charm Publishing Co., Woburn, MA; 1992.
- THE BIG THREE by Peter May, Simon & Schuster, New York; 1994.
- NOTHING BUT NET by Bill Walton with Gene Wojciechowski, Hyperion, New York; 1994.
- SEEING RED: The Red Auerbach Story by Dan Shaughnessy, Crown Publishers, 1994.
- REGGIE LEWIS - QUIET GRACE by Craig Windham; ACTEX Publications, Winsted, CT; 1995.
- THE LAST BANNER - The Story of the 1985-86 Celtics, The NBA's Greatest Team of All Time by Peter May, Simon & Schuster; 1996.
- THE BOSTON CELTICS – A Championship Tradition - FIFTY YEARS by George Sullivan, Tehabi Books; 1996.
- SUCCESS IS A CHOICE by Rick Pitino with Bill Reynolds, Broadway Books; 1997.
- BIRD: A PORTRAIT OF A COMPETITOR by Roland Lazenby, Addax Publishing Co.; 1998
- LARRY BIRD: AN INDIANA LEGEND presented by The Indianapolis Star and News; Sports Publishing Inc., 1999.
- BIRD WATCHING, On Playing and Coaching The Game I Love by Larry Bird with Jackie MacMullan, Warner Books; 1999.
- LARRY LEGEND by Mark Shaw, Masters Press, 1999.
- BOSTON CELTICS ENCYCLOPEDIA by Peter C. Bjarkman, Sports Publishing Inc.; 1999.
- LEAD TO SUCCEED by Rick Pitino with Bill Reynolds, Broadway Press, 2000.
- RUSSELL RULES by Bill Russell with David Falkner, Dalton Books; 2001.
- JUST LET THE KIDS PLAY by Bob Bigelow, Tom Moroney and Linda Hall, Health Communications, Inc.; 2001.
- HIGH ABOVE COURTSIDE – The lost Memoirs of Johnny Most by Mike Carey with Jamie Most, Sports Publishing LLC; 2003.
- DYNASTY'S END – Bill Russell and the 1968-69 World Champion Boston Celtics by Thomas J. Whelan, Northeastern University Press; 2004.
- THE INSIDE GAME by Wayne Embry with Mary Schmitt Boyer, The University of Akron Press; 2004.
- LET ME TELL YOU A STORY by Red Auerbach and John Feinstein, Little, Brown and Company; 2004.
- COUSY - Cousy: His Life, Career, and the Birth of Big-Time Basketball by Bill Reynolds, Pocket Star; 2006