Bucks 89, Celtics 98
It was a tight game throughout, and with 2:18 remaining in the final period Ersan Ilyasova hit two free throws to cut the Celtics' lead to five points. Boston was on the verge of pulling away once already, and Ilyasova's free throws seemed to snap the Celtics' run yet again.
But Rajon Rondo, who had been tearing it up the entire fourth quarter (as you'll read about below), hit Ray Allen with a perfect pass to the chest, setting him up for what was probably the biggest shot of the night. Allen rose high, fired up a try from the top of the key and drained it to put the Celts back up by eight with less than two minutes remaining in the game.
That shot gave the Celtics a comfortable lead, but it also forced the Bucks into a frenzy trying to cut that lead down as quickly as possible. Milwaukee didn't make a field goal the rest of the game, and the rest is history.
Key Box Score Line
It wasn't his season-high in points, and it wasn't even his season-high in assists, but it may have been Rajon Rondo's best all around game of the season. The Celtics' point guard finished one rebound shy of a triple-double and was unstoppable in the fourth quarter. In the final frame, Rondo scored all 11 of his points, dished out three big assists and grabbed two steals.
Box Score Nuggets
- Andrew Bogut had an impressive game, finishing tied for the game-high in points (25), leading the game in rebounds (14) and making 11 of his 17 shots.
- Kevin Garnett had a similarly impressive night, nailing nine of his 13 field goals en route to his 25 points to tie Bogut. KG also grabbed nine boards.
- Garnett and Rajon Rondo tied for the team-high in rebounds with nine.
- Milwaukee committed 20 turnovers compared to 22 assists.
- Rondo made five of his seven free throws.
- The Celtics accounted for 17 of the game's 21 steals.
- Milwaukee outscored Boston 13-2 in second chance points, but the Celtics outscored the Bucks 15-4 in fast break points.
- Rondo grabbed three of the Celtics' five offensive boards.
- Neither team had a double-digit lead at any point in the game.
- Rondo had an outstanding night distributing the ball, racking up 13 assists compared to only one turnover.
Quote of the Night
Bucks Head Coach Scott Skiles on the problems Rajon Rondo posed tonight: "We had tremendous difficulty keeping him in front of us the whole game. We went to go and under on the pick and rolls and we didn't have any luck with that. We tried to make several adjustments and he took it to our rookie pretty good."