Celtics 105, Thunder 87
Thunder fans were hoping to see their young guns pull off an upset on their own court and grab another "We've arrived"-type win, but the Boston Celtics were having none of that. The Celts took a 12-point advantage into the half, and Kevin Garnett helped turn this one into a blowout just minutes into the third period.
Rajon Rondo opened up Boston's second half scoring with a layup off of a Kendrick Perkins assist, but the next seven points came from the hands of KG in the lane. Garnett made a driving layup, hit a free throw and then was the beneficiary of two great passes from Rondo, resulting in two straight emphatic slam dunks. When that quick spurt was over, the Celtics were up by 16 less than four minutes into the second half. The momentum was completely on their side, and they rode it to the final buzzer from there.
Key Box Score Line
You're not hearing about Kevin Garnett's knee anymore. What you're now hearing about is his ridiculous offensive efficiency and overall domination. Garnett had another incredible effort tonight, making 10 of his 11 shots for a team-high 23 points. He and Rajon Rondo tied for the game-high in +/- rating, as both finished with a whopping +27 tonight.
Box Score Nuggets
- Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett combined to score 44 points on 16-of-22 shooting from the floor.
- Kevin Durant scored a game-high 36 points, but also had the worst +/- rating of the game, with his team being outscored by 26 points while he was on the floor.
- Three Thunder starters were held to six or fewer points.
- After giving up 20 offensive rebounds last night, the Celtics limited the Thunder to only six tonight.
- Boston also outrebounded Oklahoma City overall, with a 40-30 advantage.
- Four Thunder players (Jeff Green, D.J. White, James Harden and Serge Ibaka) all scored six points apiece.
- The Celtics grabbed 10 steals on the night, including four from Rajon Rondo.
- Every Boston starter finished with at least two assists, while they combined for 18 dimes on the night.
- The Celtics bench scored 22 points tonight, but Eddie House (11) and Rasheed Wallace (10) accounted for 21 of them.
- Oklahoma City finished the night with 11 assists and 16 turnovers.
- Only 13 fast break points were scored in the game, nine by Boston, four by Oklahoma City.
Quote of the Night
Doc Rivers on the Celtics sweeping their four-game road trip: "This is just a great trip. We came out here, had a sweep even though all the teams are playing well. I'm really proud of our guys."