Celtics 86, Nets 76
Ray Allen spent most of the night struggling, tossing up shots that fell short and looking tired like most of his teammates. But Allen canned a couple of big shots late in the fourth quarter (scoring eight of his 12 points), each time with a hand in his face, and he helped the Celtics start to pull away in the closing minutes after a long, hard-fought battle against a shorthanded Nets team that gave the Celtics all they could handle.
Box Score Line of the Night
Paul Pierce came alive in the third quarter and finished with 16 points and seven assists. Despite being one of the best rebounding small forwards in the Association, Pierce did not grab a single rebound in tonight's contest.
Box Score Nuggets
- The Nets are the third opponent that the Celtics have held under 80 points this season.
- Kevin Garnett grabbed 13 rebounds, his highest output of the season.
- The Celtics recorded 20 steals.
- Rasheed Wallace finished 0-of-4 from behind the 3-point line after logging an 0-for-6 from downtown on Friday night.
- J.R. Giddens played 2:48 and recorded his first steal of the season.
- Rafer Alston had 20 points, seven assists and six turnovers in just over 43 minutes of play.
- The Nets dressed just eight players.
- Paul Pierce did not grab a single rebound.
- Marquis Daniels was not with the team for personal reasons.
Quote of the Night
"Well, we're down to the great eight." - Nets coach Lawrence Frank before the game, as his team was hampered by injuries and a swine flu diagnosis for Chris Douglas-Roberts and dressed just eight players.