It was the Jared Sullinger show in crunch time Monday night. He is the man who powered Boston to a 101-97 victory over the visiting Minnesota Timberwolves.
Sullinger made his first big play of the fourth quarter when he put the Celtics on top 95-92 with a 3-pointer from the top of the key at the 2:22 mark. That bucket came just a minute and 26 seconds after Kevin Love had hit a trey to put Minnesota on top 92-90.
That 3-pointer by Sullinger caused a momentum shift that carried through the remainder of the contest. Most of that momentum landed right in Sullinger’s back pocket.
Boston’s second-year power forward went on to make four big free throws in the final 17.9 seconds of the game that helped seal the win for Boston. Additionally, he hauled in four of the Celtics’ final five rebounds of the night.
The final numbers that Sullinger tallied in the fourth quarter would be a solid game for most NBA players. He scored 15 points and grabbed six rebounds while playing the entire fourth quarter.
Key Box Score Line
You’ve already heard about Jared Sullinger’s fourth quarter, but let’s take a look at his entire body of work on Monday night.
Sullinger was phenomenal while notching his fourth double-double of the season. He finished the contest with team highs of 24 points, 11 rebounds and five assists. His points and rebounds trailed only Kevin Love’s 27 points and 14 boards.
Sullinger tallied his points thanks to efficient shooting from all over the court. He made seven of his 14 shots, one of his two 3-pointers and nine of his 11 free throws.
Box Score Nuggets
- Minnesota had three reserves score in double-figures.
- Neither team led by double-digits at any point.
- Jared Sullinger led the Celtics in points (24), rebounds (11) and assists (five).
- J.J. Barea dished out a game-high 11 assists.
- Brandon Bass went scoreless while struggling through foul trouble. He picked up five fouls in 14 minutes of play.
- Avery Bradley scored 19 points for Boston.
- Minnesota attempted 19 free throws in the first half but only seven in the second half.
- Kevin Love totaled game highs of 27 points and 14 boards.
- Sullinger and Love each attempted 11 free throws, with Sullinger making nine and Love making seven.
- Kris Humphries tallied eight points and seven rebounds off the bench.
- Jeff Green blocked two shots, while the Timberwolves blocked none.
- Minnesota committed just seven turnovers.
- The Timberwolves shot just 37.8 percent from the field.
Quote of the Night
He’s one of the most highly-conditioned big guys we’ll play all year. Brad Stevens on Kevin LoveMore quotes >>