Victor Oladipo wants to become one of the NBA’s elite defenders. Oladipo learned first-hand Friday night that Avery Bradley is already there.
Oladipo harmlessly took the ball up the court following a timeout by the Magic with 5:53 remaining in the fourth quarter. Then Bradley did what Bradley does.
Boston’s defensive whiz leaned in and ripped the ball out of Oladipo’s unsuspecting hands and took it down court for a loud jam that silenced the Amway Center.
Oh, and he drew the foul on Oladipo, too.
Bradley converted the free throw to put the Celtics on top 81-77 with 5:48 remaining in the game. It also placed all of the momentum in Boston’s favor.
That play was a defensive spark for Boston. The C’s locked down from that point on. The Magic made just four field goals over the final 6:13 of the game.
That play by Bradley, as termed by many Celtics after the game, was a “winning play.”
True story. Celtics 91. Magic 89.
Key Box Score Line
Avery Bradley is really enjoying the fact that he’s shifted over to the starting shooting guard slot. Just look at his box score from Friday night’s win over the Orlando Magic.
Bradley led the Celtics in two separate categories. His eight rebounds were a team high and his three steals were a game high. To put that number into context, Orlando grabbed four steals as a team throughout the course of the game.
The speedy guard also pitched in a solid effort in the scoring column. His 14 points trailed only Brandon Bass’ six for Boston. He also hit a critical free throw with 3.5 seconds left to help put the Celtics on top by two points.
Box Score Nuggets
- Six Celtics scored in double-figures, led by Brandon Bass' 16 points.
- Avery Bradley grabbed a game-high three steals.
- None of Boston's starters finished with a negative plus/minus rating.
- Arron Afflalo scored a game-high 23 points.
- Neither team shot better than 40 percent from the field.
- Orlando grabbed 56 rebounds.
- The Celtics committed just 11 turnovers compared to the Magic's 20.
- Boston grabbed 19 offensive rebounds but only scored 10 second-chance points.
- Nikola Vucevic grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds.
Quote of the Night
I think the most excited I've been since I moved to Boston was when Jordan Crawford dove on that ball with three minutes left. Brad Stevens on Jordan Crawford diving on a loose ball in the final minutesMore quotes >>