How do you put a team away? How about opening up the second half on a 13-2 run? That’s exactly what the Boston Celtics did to the New York Knicks Saturday night in Manchester, N.H.
Boston came out of the locker room with guns blazing, hitting their first three shots of the third quarter. Jared Sullinger followed that stretch up with an and-one layup, and then Jeff Green tacked on a 3-pointer from the left corner.
All five Celtics starters scored during the run, which put them on top 65-45 with 7:39 remaining in the third quarter. Their lead ballooned to as many as 37 points in the fourth quarter as they cruised to their first victory of the preseason.
Key Box Score Line
Jordan Crawford is showing us all why he’s winning the competition for Boston’s starting shooting guard position. He was undoubtedly the team’s best player Saturday night.
Crawford finished the game with 13 points on 5-of-7 shooting, including a 3-of-5 performance from downtown. (Crawford has now made seven of his 12 3-pointers during the preseason.) As surprising as it may sound, Crawford also led the team in rebounds with seven and dished out three assists in less than 26 minutes of action.
If No. 27 continues playing like this, there will no longer be a competition for the starting 2-spot. He is playing phenomenal basketball.
Box Score Nuggets
- Six Celtics scored in double-figures, led by Kelly Olynyk's 15 points.
- Boston (54.2 percent) outshot New York (33.3 percent) by 20.9 percent.
- The Celtics scored at least 28 points in three of the four quarters.
- Ike Diogu scored a game-high 21 points for New York, including a 9-of-11 performance from the free-throw line.
- Jordan Crawford and Avery Bradley scored 13 points apiece.
- Crawford grabbed a team-high seven rebounds.
- Six Celtics grabbed at least four rebounds.
- Boston led from start to finish, including a 37-point lead in the fourth quarter.
- Seven delay-of-game penalties were called in the game.
- New York scored 15 points in the first quarter and 14 points in the fourth quarter.
- Four Celtics (Jeff Green, Crawford, Olynyk and Courtney Lee) tied for the game high in assists with three apiece.
Quote of the Night
If I'm not gonna count the last three, I'm not gonna count this one. Brad Stevens on gaining his first NBA victory