The old adage in the NBA is that “every team makes a run.” Try telling that to the Boston Celtics and Orlando Magic after Saturday night’s game.
Orlando wasn’t making a run in this game. Saturday night was all about the men in green.
Maurice Harless made it a three-point game after he scored a basket for the Magic 53 seconds into the second quarter. That was literally the last moment in which Orlando had any belief that it could win the game.
The Celtics answered Harkless’ bucket with a 15-0 run that put them on top 39-21 midway through the second quarter. From that point on, they were riding in the Amway Center on cruise control.
Boston’s monster run featured incredible balance from four of its best players. Kevin Garnett, Jeff Green and Courtney Lee each scored four points during that stretch, while Paul Pierce dropped in three.
The C’s continued to pour it on the Magic as the rest of the game wore on. Boston jumped on top by as many as 37 points and cruised out of Orlando with a comfortable 120-88 victory.
Key Box Score Line
Courtney Lee, you had one heck of a trip through Florida.
Boston’s shooting guard followed up an 18-point effort Friday night in Miami with a team-high 20 points Saturday night in Orlando. He was nearly perfect shooting the basketball against the Magic, as he hit seven of his 10 field goals, all three of his 3-pointers and three of his four free throws. That hot shooting performance allowed Boston to outscore Orlando by 19 points during Lee’s 28 minutes and 35 seconds of playing time.
Lee did more than just score on this night; he also contributed in several other key areas. Lee dished out four assists (which trailed only Paul Pierce’s eight on the Celtics), tied for the team high in steals with two and also grabbed two boards.
Florida certainly treated him well.
Box Score Nuggets
- Nine Celtics finished with a plus/minus rating of at least plus-11.
- Boston hit 10 of its 16 3-pointers, led by three from Courtney Lee.
- Lee led the Celtics in scoring with 20 points.
- Seven Celtics scored at least 12 points.
- Nikola Vucevic grabbed a game-high 12 boards.
- Every Magic player who played at least nine minutes finished with at least a minus-10 in the plus/minus category.
- In just 27 minutes of action, Paul Pierce neared a triple-double with 12 points, six rebounds and eight assists.
- Jeff Green and Lee each grabbed two steals.
- Tobias Harris scored a game-high 22 points.
- Kevin Garnett led the Celtics both in rebounds (nine) and plus/minus rating (plus-27).
- Brandon Bass blocked a game-high three shots.
- Jordan Crawford (16 points) and Lee (20 points) each came off of the bench to shoot 7-of-10 from the field.
- The Celtics totaled 27 assists.
Quote of the Night
We really needed this win to solidify our spot in the playoffs so we know who we're going to play. Brandon Bass on the importance of Saturday night's winMore quotes >>