The Celtics beat the Wizards 107-96 Sunday night thanks to an extended run in the middle of the third quarter. That surge turned a tight contest into a blowout.
Washington hung with Boston in the first half and made it a one-point game in the opening minutes of the third quarter. The C’s, however, answered promptly by going on a 14-1 run that put the game away.
Five Celtics scored during the run, led by four points apiece from Avery Bradley and Brandon Bass. Paul Pierce, Shavlik Randolph and Jason Terry each provided two points as well. The only point Washington scored during the run was a result of a technical foul that was called on Kevin Garnett.
Boston's run began with a layup from Bradley at the 9:08 mark of the third and ended with a driving slam dunk from Bass at the 5:00 mark. Bass’ jam put the Celtics on top 72-58. Boston’s lead never dropped into single digits during the remainder of the contest as they rolled back into the win column and notched their 40th win of the season.
Key Box Score Line
Brandon Bass stepped up his game while Kevin Garnett was out of Boston's lineup with a foot injury. Garnett returned Sunday night and Bass just kept on rolling.
Bass led all scorers with 20 points to help the Celtics grab a 107-96 victory in TD Garden. He shot a phenomenal 9-of-12 from the field and made both of his free throws. In addition to the offense, Bass also provided six boards in the win, which fell just short of Shavlik Randolph's seven for the team lead.
Boston was clearly a better team while No. 30 was on the floor. The C's outscored the Wizards by seven points while Bass was in the game, which helped to justify his team-high 36 minutes of playing time.
Box Score Nuggets
- The Celtics led by as many as 18 points in the game.
- The C's outshot the Wizards from the field by 11.5 percent.
- Chris Wilcox scored 13 points off of Boston's bench while making six of seven shots.
- Washington attempted 26 3-pointers and made 10 of them.
- Boston outrebounded Washington 38-36.
- Brandon Bass scored a game-high 20 points.
- Both teams had five players score in double-figures.
- One-third of Washington's 36 rebounds were grabbed at the offensive end.
- John Wall led the Wizards in scoring with 16 points.
- Wall also led the game in assists with 10.
- Paul Pierce, Jason Terry and Courtney Lee tied for the Celtics lead in assists with five apiece.
- Boston scored at least 28 points in three of the four quarters.
- Both teams committed 23 turnovers.
- After missing eight games, Kevin Garnett returned to Boston's lineup and finished with 12 points and six rebounds.
- Four Celtics grabbed two steals apiece in the game.
Quote of the Night
I thought he was really good - really good - and I thought his rhythm was good early. I was surprised at how well he was running; I noticed that yesterday in practice. Doc Rivers on how KG looked in his return to the lineup