Ford Keys to the Game: Celtics 100, Wizards 94
Celtics 100, Wizards 94
Boston had an opportunity to put today's game against Washington away early, but they waited to close the door on the Wizards until the final minutes of the game. Paul Pierce led the C's throughout the contest, but Kevin Garnett delivered the final blows during Boston's victory.
It was a one-possession game with two minutes remaining when Garnett found himself looking at the basket with no one in front of him. He took a pass at the free-throw line, surveyed the court and quickly realized that Washington, for some reason, was not defending him. Garnett took advantage of the open lane by taking a dribble and driving to the bucket for a huge dunk with 1:57 left on the clock. That dunk seemed to rattle the young Wizards, as they didn't score another field goal until just 22.8 seconds remained on the clock.
Shortly after that dunk the Celtics ran a perfect pick-and-roll between Pierce and Garnett. Pierce dished off to KG and the Big Ticket stepped into a sweet jumper from the elbow to again bump Boston's lead back up to five, this time with 31.9 seconds left on the clock.
Garnett's dunk threw the Wizards off of their game, and his jumper about 90 seconds later took them completely out of it. Although Pierce dominated this entire contest, it was Garnett who sealed the deal for Boston.
Key Box Score Line
Is this even a question? Two words: Paul Pierce.
Pierce returned to his customary form this afternoon and absolutely dominated the Washington Wizards. There was no one on Washington's roster who had a chance at slowing him down. Not on this day.
Boston's captain erupted for a Celtics season high in points with 34 this afternoon, and he nearly achieved a triple-double on top of that. He finished the afternoon with eight rebounds and 10 assists to go along with his unstoppable scoring. The Truth was able to score all of those points because of his outstanding shooting. He shot 10-of-15 from the field and made 12 of his 15 free throw attempts.
On an afternoon in which the C's were forced to play without Rajon Rondo for the entire game and Ray Allen for most of it, they needed someone to step up. That man was Pierce, and he certainly stepped up in a big way.
Box Score Nuggets
- The Celtics scored 80 points over the final three quarters.
- Paul Pierce recorded game highs of 34 points and 10 assists.
- Boston shot 51.4 percent from the floor.
- Brandon Bass led the Celtics in rebounding with nine boards.
- Pierce attempted 15 field goals and 15 free throws.
- Bass (14 points) and Mickael Pietrus (13 points) combined to score 27 points off of the bench. The rest of Boston's bench combined to score just four.
- John Wall grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds to go along with team highs of 27 points and seven assists.
- Both teams committed 17 turnovers.
- The teams combined to make just seven 3-pointers.
- There were 11 ties and 11 lead changes in the game.
- Jordan Crawford logged 12 points off the bench for Washington.
- The Celtics made as many free throws, 21, as the Wizards attempted.
- Avery Bradley dished out seven assists in his second career start.
- Pierce and Bradley combined to commit 11 turnovers.