Celtics 93, Raptors 79
Paul Pierce dropped 30 points on the Raptors, but no two were bigger than his nasty, in-your-face slam over Amir Johnson and Joey Dorsey late in the fourth quarter that gave the C's a 82-75 lead. After that, the Celtics outscored the Raptors 11-4 to close the game out and get back on the winning track.
Then again, the Key Moment may have come around 4pm, a few hours before tip off, when Rajon Rondo made the determination that he was good to go and ready to play. With Rondo back in the lineup, the ball started to move again for the Celtics, and the results were obvious; the Celtics registered 30 assists, with Rondo and Glen Davis each notching eight dimes apiece.
Key Box Score Line
There were two pretty interesting box score lines tonight, but we'll give the nod to the Captain and The Truth, Paul Pierce, who hung 30 on the Raptors by attacking the basket, getting to the stripe, and connecting from downtown. Pierce was 10-for-15 from the field, 3-for-3 from 3-point land, and 7-for-8 from the free throw line.
After piling up 11 turnovers over the last two games, Pierce took much better care of the ball tonight and had just one giveaway.
And did we mention he grabbed seven rebounds and added four assists?
The said, honorable mention goes to Davis, who dropped a near triple-double after his rough outing on Friday afternoon when he went 4-for-14 and took a horrible 3-pointer that drew the ire of Celtics Coach Doc Rivers. Davis contributed 15 points, 11 rebounds and had eight assists.
Box Score Nuggets
- Ray Allen went 10-for-18 from the field en route to 23 points but did not attempt a free throw.
- After a rough 4-for-14 outing on Friday, Glen Davis flirted with a triple-double, scoring 15 points, grabbing 11 rebounds and adding eight assists.
- Rajon Rondo attempted just three shots in his return to action after missing the last seven games with a sprained ankle.
- Only Shaqiuille O'Neal, who was whistled for four fouls, committed more than three fouls for the Celtics.
- The Raptors grabbed a ridiculous 19 offensive rebounds, and held the Celtics to just two of their own.
- DeMar DeRozan committed five of the Raptors 13 turnovers while scoring 27 to lead Toronto.
- Raptors point guard Jose Calderon had 10 assists but went 3-for-14 from the field and scored just six points.
Quote of the Night
Glen Davis on Doc Rivers getting on him after Friday's loss, and how Rivers motivated him to improve his play tonight: "No matter what you do, he's still going to be there behind you."