Celtics 96, Nets 92
With the Celtics holding onto an 85-80 lead with just under six minutes to play, Doc Rivers had a decision to make: Does he try to win the game and improve the Celtics preseason record to 2-0, or does he get some much needed evaluation time for some of the youngsters at the end of the bench?
Rivers decided, as expected, to go with a makeshift unit of Nate Robinson, Marquis Daniels, Stephane Lasme, Mario West and Luke Harangody. But it was the vets who stepped up and helped the Celtics secure the victory.
With the game tied at 90-90, Marquis Daniels buried a 3-pointer from the left corner with 35.4 seconds to play putting the C's up 93-90. Nate Robinson hit three of his next four free throws (17 points) to put the game away and give the C's the 96-92 victory.
Key Box Score Line
Glen Davis played 28 minutes on Thursday night, and he certainly made the most of them. He dropped 20 points on 6-for-11 shooting and got to the line as well, connecting on 8 of his 10 FT attempts. He also added five rebounds.
Box Score Nuggets
- Daniels was 1-for-1 on 3-pointers. He hit just six threes all of last season.
- Paul Pierce had a very efficient 15 points on 6-for-11 shooting in 17:50 of action.
- Rajon Rondo did not score but had a team-high seven assists.
- Training camp invitees Stephane Lasme and Mario West did not score.
- Delonte West and Pierce each pulled down six rebounds to lead the Celtics.
- New Jersey's Brook Lopez hit 13 of his 15 FT attempts en route to a game-high 23 points
- Rookie Semih Erden fouled out of the contest in just over 23 minutes.