Cavaliers Team Up to Green Up in 2014!
Renewable Energy, Local Food
and Much More Planned for Sustainability Awareness Nights at The Q!
As part of the 2014 NBA Green Week, the Cleveland Cavaliers are ready to “spring” into action with the fifth annual Cavaliers GREEN WEEK presented by Republic Services, running now through April 9th. Throughout the week, the Cavs will highlight the team’s commitment to preserving the planet while educating and encouraging fans to adopt more eco-friendly habits.
The Cavs will host their Sustainability Awareness Nights on Saturday, April 5th vs. the Charlotte Bobcats at 7:30 p.m. and Wednesday, April 9th vs. the Detroit Pistons at 7:00 p.m.
“The Cavaliers are proud to work closely with Republic Services all season long to become more environmentally friendly,” says Cavs President of Business Operations Kerry Bubolz. “NBA Green Week is always a great opportunity to share our commitment to environmental responsibility, as well as educate fans on the importance on being a leader of change and making small differences that make a BIG impact.”
The Cavs NBA Green Week events continue to grow each year to make a lasting impact on the community and environment. This year’s activities include:
- Knowledge is Power - On Saturday, April 5th, student finalists for this year’s Cavaliers Green Week Award presented by Republic Services will present their sustainability projects on The Q’s main concourse in a science fair. Before the game, fans can check out the projects and learn about what Cleveland’s youth are doing to make their schools and communities more sustainable. The winning team will be announced during a special halftime presentation, where they will be awarded with $2,500 to continue their efforts.
- A Global View - On Tuesday, April 8th, the Cavs and Republic Services will host 30 kids from the Boys & Girls Club of Lorain County for an educational field trip to the OMNIMAX theatre at the Great Lakes Science Center. The group will watch “Island of Lemurs: Madagascar,” the incredible true story of nature’s greatest explorers—lemurs. The documentary will educate students on the importance of preserving habitats and what they can do to help endangered species.
- Unity in the Community! On Thursday, April 10th, Cavaliers volunteers will head over to the Fatima Family Center, located in Cleveland’s Hough neighborhood, to help prep Fatima’s outdoor green space used for education, recreation and play. Fatima provides programs and services for all ages, including an early learning center, summer camp, senior program, youth activities, health screenings and food pantries.
- #Winning Big By Going Green! Throughout Green Week, the Cavaliers will host special social media contests to encourage fans to demonstrate environmentally friendly practices. Fans can follow @Cavs on Twitter, @CleCavs on Instagram and Snapchat and Cleveland Cavaliers on Facebook for more information on how to participate.
At all Cavs Sustainability Awareness Nights throughout Green Week:
- Heart on Their Sleeve - The Cavs will suit up in 100% organic cotton ADIDAS NBA Green shirts for pregame shoot-around, as well as sport NBA Green wristbands and headbands made from 45% organic cotton. Cavs coaches and staff will also wear special NBA Green Week pins.
- Meet Your Eco-Leaders! Local environmental agency representatives and information will be stationed on the concourse to showcase the importance of sustainable living along with interactive exhibits and demonstrations.
- Every basket counts! The arena concourses will host receptacles for fans to recycle their Sword Magazine and Tip-Off Tonight publications.
- Go Local! In addition to setting the table all season long with recyclable cups, plates and plastic products, Quicken Loans Arena’s food and beverage service, ARAMARK will highlight its locally purchased produce and goods during Green Week at select concession stands, suites and banquet spaces.
- A Win-Win! Fans are invited to participate in a special Cavs Green Week 50/50 Raffle, with proceeds benefitting Earth Day Coalition.
Shooting Threes and Planting Trees
The Cleveland Cavaliers and PwC US have teamed up to make the Northeast Ohio community greener by launching the "Trees for Threes” program. As part of their commitment to sustainability and the environment, the Cavs and PwC have pledged to plant one tree for every three pointer the Cavs make during 2013-14 regular season home games.
Cavaliers’ fans can log onto www.cavs.com/community/trees to view the “Trees for Threes” ticker and track the number of trees to be planted at the end of the season, or follow the conversation on Twitter using #Trees4Threes, especially during NBA Green Week (April 5 and 9).
Beginning at the end of April, Cavs team members and PwC employees will plant the trees in local parks and other areas to be environmentally improved. Together, the Cavs and PwC are committed to helping sustain the environment and provide green space for generations to come.