Daily News - August 8, 2014
**NOTE: The news clips and articles listed don't necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the Cleveland Cavaliers or their Basketball Operations staff, partners, or sponsors.**
Learning to love the Cleveland Cavaliers' Love deal won't take most fans long -- Bill Livingston
Author: Bill Livingston
Publication: Plain Dealer
"CLEVELAND, Ohio – Potential is just a fancy word for saying you haven't done it.
A famous NBA player and coach, a Hall of Famer, Billy Cunningham, said that. He was talking about disappointing Darryl Dawkins.
Potential is also one hell of a bargaining chip and the Cavaliers, according to YahooSports, have used it to clinch the deal for Kevin Love, the most coveted player available.
The Cavs will send their last two draft picks, both of them No. 1 in the league, Andrew Wiggins (extremely intriguing) and Anthony Bennett (extremely disappointing, but slowly improving) to Minnesota for Love, plus a protected first-round pick in 2015." - CLICK HERE to read full story.
Cleveland Cavaliers believe odds in their favor of keeping Kevin Love -- Terry Pluto
Author: Terry Pluto
Publication: Plain Dealer
"CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Dan Gilbert loves to play the odds.
The Cavs owner does it with his mortgage business, Quicken Loans. And he does it with his Horseshoe Casino in downtown Cleveland.
He looks at a situation, considers the risk -- and makes his best guess (or bet) on what often is a bold move.
That's what Gilbert and Cavs General Manager David Griffin did when they made a major salary cap-clearing trade with the hope of signing LeBron James before they even had a deal with James. It worked out, as James signed a two-year contract. It is complicated, with a player option for 2015-16. But the Cavs brought James home, and were willing to take him back on any terms." - CLICK HERE to read full story.
Men on the Move
Author: Joe Gabriele
"It’s understandable for Cavalier fans to be a little lax when it comes to keeping up with this summer’s free agent frenzy. When a franchise lands one of the most coveted free agents of all-time, not to mention the best player on planet Earth, it’s easy to lose focus on the rest of the basketball universe.
The Wine and Gold officially inked LeBron James on July 12, and they added a pair of his former teammates in Miami – Mike Miller and James Jones – early this week.
Players the Cavaliers have lost through free agency include a trio of veterans: CJ Miles signed with Indiana, Spencer Hawes signed with the Clippers and Luol Deng – acquired last January – will try to fill the void James left on South Beach." - CLICK HERE to read full story.
Report: Cavs, Timberwolves finalize trade for Kevin Love; complete ‘monumental’ offseason
Author: Marla Ridenour
Publication: Akron Beacon Journal
"The final piece of the “monumental” offseason predicted by Cavaliers General Manager David Griffin now appears to be in place.
The Minnesota Timberwolves have agreed in principle on a trade that will send All-Star forward Kevin Love to the Cavs for Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a protected 2015 first-round pick, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reported Thursday morning.
The report says the Cavs have a “firm agreement” that Love will opt out of his contract and sign a five-year, $120 million deal with the Cavs next summer. There had been speculation that Love might want to cash in during his free-agent year when salaries are expected to rise dramatically under a new television deal. There were also questions about the length of Love’s commitment because LeBron James is signed only for two years and can opt out next summer." - CLICK HERE to read full story.
More Daily Press Links:
- (08/08) Source: Cavaliers, Timberwolves reach agreement to send Kevin Love to Cleveland The News-Herald
- (08/08) ESPN suspends radio host Dan LeBatard for billboards mocking LeBron James The News-Herald
- (08/08) LeBron James visits Cleveland Browns at practice The News-Herald
- (08/08) Cavaliers’ deal for Kevin Love to happen, according to reports Medina-Gazette
- (08/08) LeBron James attends Browns practice, sends jolt of excitement through coaches, players Chronicle-Telegram
- (08/08) LeBron's upcoming new Big 3 may be his best yet FOX Sports Ohio
- (08/08) AP sources: Cavs, Wolves set for Love-Wiggins deal FOX Sports Ohio
- (08/08) Cavs' trade for Kevin Love reportedly a done deal Canton Rep
- (08/08) Cleveland Cavaliers, Minnesota Timberwolves agree in principle on deal for Kevin Love Crain's Cleveland
- (08/08) Fit for a king: Akron all set for LeBron’s huge welcome home party FOX 8 Cleveland
- (08/08) LeBron homecoming preps last all night WKYC Cleveland
- (08/08) Preparations wrapping up for LeBron's homecoming celebration WOIO 19 News
- (08/08) LeBron James visits Cleveland Browns’ practice ClevelandBrowns.com
- (08/08) LeBron brings sons to watch Browns practice NBA.com
- (08/08) LeBron draws crowd at practice ESPN.com
- (08/08) Company hedged its Wiggins bets ESPN.com
- (08/08) Cavaliers, Wolves get much-needed mulligan with Love-Wiggins trade Sports Illustrated
- (08/08) An Ideal Big Man to Complement James The New York Times
- (08/08) Pressure's on LeBron (isn't it always) with Love in Cleveland CBSSports.com
- (08/08) What Kevin Love trade means for the Cavaliers on the floor CBSSports.com
- (08/08) How will James, Irving, Love fit in Cleveland Cavaliers offense? Sporting News
- (08/08) Kevin Love is a Cavalier and Andrew Wiggins goes to the Wolves, because LeBron James gets what he wants Yahoo! Sports
- (08/08) ESPN Suspends Dan LeBatard Over LeBron Billboard NBC Miami
- (08/08) Andrew Wiggins trade amplifies doubts surrounding teen: Feschuk Toronto Star