Daily News - August 12, 2014
**NOTE: The news clips and articles listed don't necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the Cleveland Cavaliers or their Basketball Operations staff, partners, or sponsors.**
Cleveland Cavaliers announce the signing of free agent center Alex Kirk
Author: Chris Fedor
Publication: Plain Dealer
"CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland Cavaliers have signed free agent center Alex Kirk.
The 7-0, 245-pound center caught the attention of the coaching staff while in Las Vegas at the 2014 NBA Summer League. Kirk played five games for the Cavaliers Summer League team and averaged 5.2 points on 52 percent shooting. He also grabbed 3.4 rebounds in 15.4 minutes per game." - CLICK HERE to read full story.
Cavs sign undrafted rookie center Alex Kirk, but could keep shopping for more big men
Author: Jason Lloyd
Publication: Akron Beacon Journal
"The Cavaliers addressed one of their few remaining holes Monday when they signed undrafted rookie center Alex Kirk, but they likely aren’t done shopping for big men.
The Cavs have been searching for a center for weeks, since losing Spencer Hawes in free agency and trading away Tyler Zeller. With so little left on the market and the team out of cap space, they turned to the 7-foot, 245-pound Kirk, who played on the Cavs’ summer league team after averaging 10 points and 6.8 rebounds during three seasons at the University of New Mexico.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but a source with knowledge of the talks said Kirk will receive a small guarantee for this season, and next season’s contract is non-guaranteed." - CLICK HERE to read full story.
Cleveland Cavaliers sign free agent center Alex Kirk
Author: Bob Finnan
Publication: The News-Herald
"A 7-footer was needed in the worst way.
The Cavaliers signed undrafted free agent Alex Kirk on Aug. 11. He likely signed for the league minimum of $507,336.
The former University of New Mexico standout will compete with Brendan Haywood for backup minutes behind starting center Anderson Varejao." - CLICK HERE to read full story.
Cavs add depth at center with Alex Kirk
Author: Rick Noland
"While they await word from Ray Allen and Shawn Marion, the Cavaliers added some insurance in the middle Monday.
The Cavs signed 7-foot, 245-pound center Alex Kirk, likely for the league minimum of $500,000.
Cleveland’s roster now stands at 17, pending the Kevin Love trade, but general manager David Griffin may not be done yet." - CLICK HERE to read full story.
More Daily Press Links:
- (08/12) Editorial: James' best legacy will be off the court Canton Rep
- (08/12) Wiggins deflects questions about trade to Wolves NBA.com
- (08/12) Summer Dreaming: Rookie of the Year NBA.com
- (08/12) The rest of the story ESPN.com
- (08/12) Inside LeBron James' weight loss and low-carb diet Sports Illustrated
- (08/12) David Stern, on reaction to LeBron James' 2010 Decision: 'I thought the world was being horribly unfair to him' Yahoo! Sports
- (08/12) Dan LeBatard agrees with ESPN's decision to suspend him over LeBron billboards USA Today
- (08/12) Andrew Wiggins on trade for Kevin Love: “Whatever happens is out of my control” ProBasketballTalk
- (08/12) Kelly: Andrew Wiggins leaps into the unknown certain of one thing, his talent The Globe and Mail
- (08/12) Canadian hoops star Andrew Wiggins says he will play anywhere Canada.com
- (08/12) Shaquille O’Neal picks LeBron James, Cavaliers to run away with Eastern Conference New York Daily News
- (08/12) Former Lobo Alex Kirk signs with Cleveland Cavaliers Albuquerque Journal