Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena Branch Out Into the Community for 2012 Cavaliers Green Week presented by Republic Services
CLEVELAND, OH - April 3, 2012 - As part of NBA GREEN WEEK, The Cleveland Cavaliers are ready to spring into action for the third annual 2012 Cavaliers GREEN WEEK presented by Republic Services April 4th through April 11th. The Cavaliers will host two Sustainability Awareness Nights on Tuesday, April 10th vs. the Charlotte Bobcats at 7:00 p.m. and on Wednesday, April 11th vs. the Indiana Pacers at 7:00 p.m. During the week, the Cavs will highlight the team’s commitment to preserving the planet while educating and encouraging fans to adopt more eco-friendly habits.
“We are increasingly dedicated to raising our eco-awareness and doing what it takes to make our operations more environmentally friendly,” says Cavs Executive Vice President and COO Kerry Bubolz. “NBA Green Week is the perfect opportunity to share with fans the great things we do to be sustainable at The Q and how they can adopt positive eco-habits into their daily lives as well.”
The Cavs NBA Green Week activities and events continue to grow each year to make an impact on the community and environment. This year’s Sustainability Awareness Night’s on April 10th and 11th will include:
- Step in the Name of Love. The Cavs are putting their best foot forward and teaming up with Soles4Souls, a global shoe charity that provides recycled shoes for people in need, to host a shoe drive April 9th through April 13th. Fans can drop off new or gently used shoes at Quicken Loans Arena, Knuth’s store locations in Pepper Pike and Westlake, and during the Cavs Sustainability Awareness Nights. At the end of the drive, 1-800-GOT-JUNK? will collect the donated shoes from The Q and transport them to the Soles4Souls distribution center.
- 5,000 Put the “R” in REUSE. At each game, the first 5,000 fans at The Q will receive a free reusable NBA Green Week grocery bag presented by Republic Services.
- It’s Electric! The electricity at The Q for the April 10th game will run completely on renewable energy credits (RECs) provided by FirstEnergy Solutions.
- There’s Beauty in the Community! On April 4th and 5th, Cavs team members will dig, plant and paint alongside the Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities to help beautify local urban farms. These faming sites are part of a developing agriculture employment program, through the Board, designed to provide work opportunities for adults with developmental disabilities.
- The Touch, the Feel of…Organic Cotton, the Fabric of our Team! During Green Week, The Cavs will suit up in 100% organic cotton ADIDAS NBA Green shirts for pregame shootaround. The team will also sport NBA Green wristbands and headbands made from 45% organic cotton.
- And the award goes to… On April 10th, six student finalists for this year’s 2012 Cavaliers Green Week Award will present their sustainability projects on The Q’s main concourse in a Science Fair. Before the game, fans can catch a glimpse of the projects and learn about what Cleveland’s youth are doing to make their schools and communities more sustainable. The winner of the award will be announced during a special halftime presentation.
- Every basket counts! The arena concourses will host six waste stations for fans to dispose of their recyclable trash, compostable trash and landfill waste in the appropriately marked containers. Each station will be manned by a Republic Services volunteer to help educate and coach each guest to making an eco-friendly decision.
- The Ingredients We Need Are All Around Us! In addition to setting the table with recyclable cups, plates and plastic products, Quicken Loans Arena’s food and beverage service, ARAMARK is providing fans with the “Taste of Ohio.” Select ARAMARK menus will feature locally purchased produce and goods, and highlight local breweries and organic wines.
ARAMARK is also partnering with local chef, Jonathan Sawyer of The Greenhouse Tavern, the first “green” restaurant in Ohio. Sawyer will highlight sustainable cuisine with some of his signature items on the suite and club level menus at April 10th and 11th games.
- A “Suite” Contest: Fans of the Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena Facebook pages will have the chance to win one of two (2) four-pack of tickets into the “Sustainability Suite” for the April 10th game. The suite will highlight Quicken Loans Arena’s sustainability milestones and provide fans with tasty foods supplied by local vendors and chefs. For more information, visit facebook.com/cavs.
To date, the Cavaliers organizational family, which includes the NBA Development League Canton Charge, AHL Lake Erie Monsters, AFL Cleveland Gladiator and Quicken Loans Arena operations management, and in addition to ARAMARK food and beverage service, continues to make progress toward its goal to lead the way in best practices for environmentally friendly business. Key accomplishments of 2011-12 include:
- Collected approximately 187,000 lbs. of recyclable waste in 2012 that includes 11.7 tons of office paper, 24 tons of cardboard, 23 tons of plastics, 224 lbs. of electronics, and 347 lbs. of batteries, 450 lbs. of inkjet and laser printer cartridges.
- Installed a 30-yard motorized recycling compactor which allows the arena to accurately gauge the amount of trash in the compactor and reduces the number of hauls made to landfills.
- Invested in chemical-free cleaning devices that use ionized water to disinfect non-porous surfaces, reducing the amount of chemicals in the arena.
- Replaced all public restrooms with more water efficient spouts, decreasing the amount of water dispensed per cycle by 1 gallon.
- Quicken Loans Arena is transitioning from T12 fluorescent bulb to a more energy efficient T8 bulb for lighting fixtures throughout the arena.
- ARAMARK purchases locally grown produce and goods from vendors when possible – including regional small farms.