Rose named Eastern Conference Player of the Week
NEW YORK, Jan. 4, 2010 – The Chicago Bulls’ Derrick Rose and the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Dec. 28, through Jan. 3.
Rose led the Bulls in scoring in each game, averaging 26.7 points, 5.0 rebounds and 5.7 assists, as Chicago went 3-0. On Jan. 2, Rose became the first Bulls player to post a 30-point, five-rebound, five-assist game since 2008 (Kirk Hinrich) when he amassed 30 points, six rebounds and seven assists in a 101-93 win over Orlando.
Durant paced the league in scoring (34.3 ppg) and added 7.3 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.8 blocks, leading Oklahoma City to a 3-1 week. On Jan. 2, Durant set a Thunder franchise record by recording his seventh consecutive 30-point game, becoming the first player to do so since Nov. 2007 (LeBron James). Durant recorded his eighth double-double of the season on Dec. 29, when he tallied 35 points and 11 rebounds in a 110-98 win at Washington.
Here is a recap of the week for Rose and Durant:
Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
- Dec. 29 vs. Indiana: Posted 28 points, five rebounds, six assists and one block in a 104-95 win over the Pacers.
- Dec. 31 @ Detroit: Scored 22 points to go along with four rebounds, four assists and two blocks in a 98-87 win over the Pistons.
- Jan. 2 vs. Orlando: Tallied 30 points, six rebounds and seven assists in a 101-93 win over the Magic.
Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
- Dec. 28 @ New Jersey: Poured in 40 points and added five rebounds, two assists and three steals in a 105-89 win over the Nets.
- Dec. 29 @ Washington: Recorded 35 points, 11 rebounds, four assists and one block in a 110-98 win over the Wizards.
- Dec. 31 vs. Utah: Posted 31 points, eight rebounds, five assists, two blocks and one steal in an 87-86 win over the Jazz.
- Jan. 2 @ Milwaukee: Netted 31 points and added five rebounds and four blocks in a 103-97 loss to the Bucks.
Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Charlotte’s Stephen Jackson, Cleveland’s LeBron James, Houston’s Aaron Brooks, L.A. Clippers’ Chris Kaman, Memphis’ Zach Randolph, New York’s David Lee, Portland’s Brandon Roy and Toronto’s Chris Bosh.