|Sam's Hope's has been a partner with the Milwaukee Bucks for 15
years. The mission of this partnership is to encourage children
in the inner city to read at home each day, to achieve in school and to provide new books for children to own through the 20 joint projects. Sam Garner was just 12 years old when he and his siblings founded Sam's Hope.
You can email Sam's Hope at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Milwaukee school children join us in our newest Campaign to tell us how "Words Matter" to you by completing the phrase "Words Matter because..."
We hope this will spark a conversation in your classrooms and with your peers.
Teachers we hope this will enhance your classroom discussions and lesson plans.
We will be awaiting the student responses in hopes of creating the greater conversation in our community as the first of many steps to follow.
Barbara S. Garner
Sam's Hope Literacy Foundation and The Milwaukee Bucks
Paschketball: Read to Achieve
The Bucks, along with the Northwestern Mutual Foundation and the Milwaukee County Federated Library System, tipped off the annual Read to Achieve Library Reading Challenge
Luc Mbah a Moute Read to Achieve
The Bucks joined forces with The UPS Stores, the Marine's Toys for Tots program, Scholastic and Sam's Hope to provided books for kids at Longfellow Elementary School in Milwaukee
Author's Night - Snuggle Up and Read
Read To Achieve Tip Off
Luc Mbah a Moute Read to Achieve - 11/6/12
Sam’s Hope/BUCKS 15th Year Partnership Events and Projects for 2012-2013 Season:
- 15th Year of BUCKS/Sam’s Hope partnership Season with “Words Matter because…” Initiative. Engage all Milwaukee area children to participate in responding to query “Words Matter because… “. Teachers submit entries through bucks.com/in the community/Sam’s Hope. Click onto page for entry rules and rewards.
- Series of Scholastic Book Fairs to benefit Sam’s Hope. Sites include: Discovery World, YMCA, Bradley Center, MSOE. From November to December.
- Head Start “BUCKS Book Buddy” Monthly at home reading program. Sponsored by Sam’s Hope and Milwaukee BUCKS. Monthly books donated for each child by BUCKS and Sam’s Hope.
- Head Start Reading Rallies at 3 sites. Special Guest: BANGO
- Journey House BUCKS mini library “Sarah’s Corner” dedication. Sponsored by Milwaukee BUCKS and Sam’s Hope. “Reading Rally” at library site of Journey House co sponsored also by Toys for Tots Literacy Program and UPS Stores. FYI: Filming of the ‘Hollywood Christmas Parade” 2 hour airing on national Hallmark Channel December 10th 2012. Each child from Longfellow School K thru 8th grade joined us for library dedication and were able to select their own new book.
- Discovery World “Words Matter” Opening full BUCKS team event. Players work on creating 4 canvas pieces with 4 school groups with players at a day at Discovery World. Post the canvas project a BUCKS/Sam’s Hope ‘Reading Rally” was held and each child selected their own new book plus were given 5000 new books to take home.
- “Operation Baby Book” with partner Kids Matter. Each foster care visit with a nurse is given a new baby book to be gifted to a new child in their home.
- Continuing of CityYear volunteer partnership in their quest to sort thousands and thousands of new books for all of our events.
- Glendale River Hills Middle School warehouse sorting partners.
- Riverside High School student volunteer event “staffers”
- Hartford University School site of “Author’s Night” for grades pre through 5th grade. Evening event with players reading with children and talking about education and staying in school.. Every child receives a new book. BANGO surprise guest. Special raffle included and so much more…
- “Word Jar” building. MSOE students to build an 7 foot high “Word Jar” to house “Words Matter because… “entries from children in the community. To be displayed at the Bradley Center on the Center Court. Each school in the community asked to “build” their own “Word Jar” for the centerpiece in each school building to house their entries.
- BUCKS Book Blast with full team at the Bradley Center. Half time show, selection of books for each child. Center court time with the players and children in small groups. “Words Jar” to be displayed on center court. Children to place their “words matter because…” entries in the huge word Jar.
- Other Words Matter related activities.
- SDC Black Knowledge Bowl Event. Co sponsored by BUCKS and Sam’s Hope
- GED/SDC graduation event.
- Building of Corporate Connections with corporations tutoring/ reading programs.
- December 2012 Holiday givings throughout Milwaukee. Children’s Hospital giving.
- HIPPY graduation sponsorship. A pre school at home reading program. Parents as teachers.
- Special Thanks to Project collaborator “Art Troopers.” Creator and producer of “Words Matter” art canvas with 4 area Milwaukee schools and the full BUCKS team. Event site and partner Discovery World.
- Thank you to UPS Stores/Toys for Tots Literacy Program for their tremendous partnership sponsorships this season. 29 UPS Stores join together to sponsor Sam’s Hope projects throughout the season. Thank you for their huge gift of books and 10,000 book marks especially designed for “Words Matter”.
- Book Donors: 15 year partners Scholastic Book Fairs, Anonymous donors corporate and private and New Threads of Hope for their multiple year book donation partnership and UPS Stores/Toys for Tots Literacy Program.
- Thanks this year to Café 1505 for the special treats for our Discovery World event
- 15th Season “Words Matter” media partner Clear Channel for their donation of PSA time on all six stations.
- Our long time media partner the “Business Journal”.
******A HUGE THANKS TO OUR SPECIAL PARTNER OF 15 YEARS THE MILWAUKEE BUCKS FOR ALL THEY DO FOR THE CHILDREN OF MILWAUKEE.