|Sam's Hope's has been a partner with the Milwaukee Bucks for 16 years. The mission of this partnership is to encourage children in the inner city to read at home each day, to achieve in school and to provide new books for children to own through the 20 joint projects. Sam Garner was just 12 years old when he and his siblings founded Sam's Hope. You can email Sam's Hope at email@example.com|
The Dave Project
A Legacy of Healthy Words
An original Dave Pot from the plantation on which Dave lived.
Join us in our efforts to engage students communitywide in responding to “If you had 10 to 15 words that would last forever what would you say?” and submit through the form below. All entries must be submitted by teachers only.
All submissions will be filtered to provide a “Word Cloud” which will artistically come together highlighting the usage of the most common word selections from the “Dave Couplets/Poems”.
Rules and Prizes listed below:
- All entries must be submitted to your teachers.
- All teachers will screen the submissions to select 6 per grade level per school.
- Teachers will submit through the form below
- All hard copy submissions from ALL students will be sent to Sam’s Hope Literacy Foundation at 3900 W. Brown Deer Road, Suite A 150, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53209 or dropped off at the BUCKS offices to Barbara Garner at the BMO Harris Bradley Center offices of the Milwaukee BUCKS. ALL submissions will then be submitted to the community “Word Cloud” for all to see.
- It is our hope that the couplets/poems will be a reflection based on the story of “Dave the Potter” by Laban Hill making use of “healthy words” in all submissions.
- The final due date is February 28th for submissions to the website by the teachers.
- Sam’s Hope and the Milwaukee BUCKS have gathered a package of prizes that will be given to selected student couplets which will include game tickets for students, families and teachers, classroom libraries, player visits, BANGO visits to the schools, selected BUCKS logo items, selected autograph items, gifts packet from the Milwaukee Art Museum, gifts packet from Discovery World, book buying spree at Barnes and Noble, and so much more.
The school with the largest amount of total submissions from their school including those mailed to Sam's Hope will receive a special award for their school.
Closing date of initiative: February 14, 2014
Initiative Entry Form
Sam’s Hope Literacy Foundation and the Milwaukee Bucks announce the following events and projects for 2013-2014 in celebration of our 16th season of partnership:
- DREAM BIG: Exploring the possibilities of career choices in the field of sports other an player options. Sam’s Hope/BUCKS also provided books, book bags, gel bands, bookmarks to celebrate this newest project.
- SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIRS benefiting Sam’s Hope to be distributed throughout Milwaukee area children. Sites will include: MSOE, YMCA site, Discovery World, on site at a BUCKS game at the BMO Harris Bradley Center, other TBD sites.
- OFFICAL SEASON OPENER EVENT at Milwaukee Art Museum. Launch of this year’s “THE DAVE PROJECT: A Legacy of Healthy Words”. NOVEMBER 18TH. 1000 Milwaukee school children will converge with the ENTIRE Milwaukee BUCKS basketball team and coaches for a day of exposure to the arts, reading time with the players, Q & A with the players in small groups, exploration of “healthy words” in each of the galleries, Unveiling of “starter” WORD CLOUD creation from player word donation, “touch time” with the reproduction of a gold glittered DAVE POT alongside one of the original DAVE POTS, distribution of 1000 books per school directly to the students to take home to own! This event is by school invite only for grades 1, 2 and 3..
- “Foster Cares” Event at Discovery World. An evening shared with Foster Care families in a free entrance to the Museum, reading with BANGO, free book bags and all the books that the bag can hold to go home with the children as their very own “travelling mini library”. Date: TBD. This event is by invite only.
- OPERATION BABY BOOK. Annual giving to be distributed through Kids Matter Inc. to social workers to be gifted to families upon the home visits for children ages new born to age 3.
- CITY YEAR VOLUNTEER PARTNERSHIP. Annual collaboration with City Year Corps Members to sort and bookplate 10,000 books to be distributed throughout Milwaukee to area children in need. Along with helping City Year with book donations for the children they serve.
- GLEN HILLS MIDDLE SCHOOL sorting partners. We also supply their classmates with African American biographies.
- HOLIDAY GIVING PROJECTS: Adoption of Milwaukee families for gifting of book bags filled with new books, games, BUCKS logo items and much more for each child in need. CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL book donations. SALVATION ARMY LODGE holiday gifts for families on site. HIPPY FAMILY HOLIDAY DONATION.
- SALVATION ARMY LODGE annual donations of new books for their guest families individuals, stocking of mini library we created jointly with the BUCKS, birthday book bags, entrance gifts for each family.
- EVENING SNUGGLE UP AND READ. 2013 SITE BURBANK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL Februrary 2013. Player appearance, new books for each child, raffle logo items, Raffle this year based on “Dave the Potter” Initiative. Player reading and initeracting with all of the children.
- HEAD START BOOK DONATIONS FOR” BUCKS Bed Time Book Buddy Program”. Donation of monthly books for children to read at home with parents and “report” back to the teachers.
- BLACK KNOWLEDGE BOWL. Book giving prizes for the Bowl along with book bags, etc.
- JODY ALEXANDER BLACK HISTORY PROJECT. Books, bags, etc.
- TRAVELING DAVE THE POTTER REPRODUCTION POT to sites all over city.
- HIPPY giving. At home pre- school reading program to teach parents to be teachers in reading books to their children. Children ages 2 to 5 years. Gifting: a) Graduation of books for 5 year olds with book bags, plus more b). Summer reading books and bags to children ages 3 and 4. C). New support of expanded HIPPY programming to older students. D) Incentive book donations.
- MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY SLAM DUNK CAMPUS event. A day on the Marquette campus for 3rd graders. A full experience of the possibilities of college life. A). Tour of campus sites and interaction at each site for the “Dave Project”. Sites include campus theater, Haggerty Museum and campus library. B). Three workshops during the experience. One workshop with Laban Hill, author of “Dave the Potter”, one shop with Fonde Bridges, art educator funded by Chipstone Foundation.
- “THE DAVE PROJECT: a LEGACY OF HEALTHY WORDS school workshops and assembly visits. 30 sites in all. Plus screening of entries for initiative.
- Final visits to winning students at schools from players to celebrate the selected entries from the DAVE PROJECT Initiative.
- BUCKS BOOK BLAST annual event MARCH 26TH 2014. Culmination event for our season 16th of this year’s initiative 1000 students in grades 1, 2 3 converge on the court of the BMO Harris Bradley Center with the full team and coaches and 1000 students from Milwaukee area schools for receive free new books, player reading and conversation time, a book selection to “pay it forward” to another child and gifts from the team.
- A look at players consideration to paint for the Empty Bowls Project. Players will paint bowls to be donated at the annual EMPTY BOWLS Organization. Some of the special player bowls will be auctioned off at a BUCKS game