What 2 Watch 4 - Trail Blazers Vs. Wizards
Robin Lopez vs. Marcin Gortat
While the matchup between first-time All-Stars Damian Lillard and John Wall is more high profile, the battle in the post between Portland's Robin Lopez and Washington's Marcin Gortat, two former Suns centers, is our What 2 Watch 4 in tonight's game versus the Wizards in the Nation's Capital.
Both Lopez and Gortat have been integral in the the resurgence of their respective teams. Both were traded this offseason, mostly in an effort to clear salary by their former teams, and have been surprisingly successful in helping their new teams transition from lottery mainstays to likely playoff participants.
The statistical comparisons between the two are also incredibly similar. They both have 17 double-doubles on the season are are almost equal in points (Gortat averaged 12.0, Lopez 10.5), rebounds (8.8 per game for Gortat, 8.2 for Lopez and blocks (1.6 per game for Gortat, 1.4 per game for Lopez), so if either is able to significantly outperform the other Monday night, that could very well be the difference in which team wins and which doesn't.
• Is ranked sixth among centers and 11th overall in field goal percentage at 54 percent shooting
• Ranks sixth among center in free-throw percentage at 80 percent and has gone 23 of 27 from the line in his last 11 games
• Is fourth in the NBA in offensive rebounds per game with 3.9
• Was traded by the Suns this offseason along with guards Shannon Brown, Malcolm Lee and Kendall Marshall to the Wizards for Emeka Okafor and a protected 2014 first-round pick
• Is averaging a career-high 32.5 minutes per game in his seventh season out of Poland
• Ranks eighth among centers in assists (1.5 per game) and 12th in both scoring (12.0 ppg) and rebounding (8.8 rpg)