What 2 Watch 4 - Trail Blazers Vs. Pacers
Nicolas Batum vs. Paul George
Introducing the five-tool player. For the baseball fan, you may have heard the term referred to players who are skilled in hitting for average, hitting for power, base running, throwing and fielding. These players are treasured because they excel in basically all critical measures of an athlete on the diamond. Well, the same can be said of Portland's Nicolas Batum and Indiana's Paul George on the hardwood. In their game, there are six statistical categories perhaps best recognized by traditional standards: points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks and minutes. And both Batum and George rank among their team's top three players this season in - you guessed it - five of those categories. Batum's line - 6.4 rebounds (3rd on team), 5.0 assists (2nd), 1.27 steals (T-1st), 0.60 blocks (3rd) and 36.0 minutes (3rd) - reflects the unique and incredibly valuable skillset that has cemented his spot in Portland's starting lineup for much of his NBA career. George's numbers - 24.3 points (1st on team), 6.4 rebounds (3rd), 3.2 assists (3rd), 1.93 steals (1st) and 37.0 minutes (1st) - validate his standing as one of the game's rising stars (as does his 2012-13 NBA Most Improved Player award). Take a few minutes to follow these players up and down the court for a few possessions, and track in how many ways they help their teams.
Stats through November 26th.
• Ranks among the top three Trail Blazers in rebounds (3rd), assists (2nd), steals (T-1st), blocks (3rd) and minutes (3rd) this season
• His 3-point percentage (42.7%) and free throw percentage (82.9%) both rank among the NBA's top 40 players in 2013-14
• Ranks third among Portland's all-time leaders with 541 career 3-pointers made
• Ranks among the top three Pacers in points (1st), rebounds (3rd), assists (3rd), steals (1st) and minutes (1st) this season
• His 24.3 points (5th) and 1.93 steals (T-9th) rank among the NBA's top 10 players in 2013-14
• Named a 2013 NBA All-Star and the 2012-13 NBA Most Improved Player