What 2 Watch 4 - Trail Blazers Vs. 76ers
Robin Lopez vs. Spencer Hawes
The matchup tonight between Portland's Robin Lopez and Philadelphia's Spencer Hawes is a contrast in styles at the center position. In Lopez, you have a big-bodied, defensive-minded center who wants stay within a step of the paint on both ends of the floor, while Hawes likes to space the floor with his ability to shoot from distance. Case in point: 113 of Hawes' 258 shots this season were taken within eight feet of the basket, whereas Lopez has taken almost all of his attempts, 133 out of 168 to be exact, from that same distance.
Lopez and the Trail Blazers will have to pay special attention to Hawes on the perimeter, as three-point shooting big men have given Portland trouble this season. And Hawes is one of the best shoot bigs in the league, as evidenced by his 44 percent shooting percentage from three on 89 attempts.
"It's unusual having a center who shoots the three as well as Spencer does," said head coach Terry Stotts after the team's shootaround Saturday. "The whole team needs to be very cognizant of his ability to shoot, but at the same time, our pick and roll coverages, we need to make some adjustments to take that into account."
• Has 10 double-doubles already this season, more than he's had in any one season in his career
• Tied for third in the NBA in offensive rebounds per game with 4.0
• Tied for fourth among centers in double-doubles with 10
• Third among centers in assists per game with 3.1
• Is first among centers in three-point shoot percentage at 44 percent and first in makes and attempts with 39 and 89, respectively
• Eighth in rebounds per game among center with 9.2