Rose Quarter, Moda Center Become "Rip City Central" For Trail Blazers NBA Playoff Run
Whether at Home or Away, Rose Quarter is the Place to See the Trail Blazers Play
PORTLAND, Ore. (April 17, 2014) – Thanks to a 50-plus win regular season for the 12th time in franchise history, the Portland Trail Blazers have punched their ticket to the NBA Playoffs. First-up for the fifth-seeded Trail Blazers will be the fourth-seeded Houston Rockets.
The Moda Center and Rose Quarter will be transformed into “RIP CITY CENTRAL” throughout the playoffs. Trail Blazers fans can gather at the newly-opened Dr. Jack’s for food and drink specials, while the Rose Quarter Commons springs to life with a live music stage; DJs and multiple Clear Channel Radio stations broadcasting live. Home or away -- with or without tickets -- all roads for Trail Blazers fans lead to the Rose Quarter.
Game 1 of the Trail Blazers-Rockets first-round series tips-off in Houston at 6:30 p.m. this Sunday, April 20. Game 2 is scheduled for 6:30 on Wednesday night. Official viewing parties will be held at Dr. Jack’s, with doors opening at 5 p.m. for both games.
The scene then shifts to the Moda Center for Games 3 and 4 beginning next Friday, April 25 and Sunday, April 27. Doors will open 90 minutes before tip-off, which is 30 minutes earlier than normal. Fans are encouraged to arrive early and get in their seats, as they will be an integral part to the pre-game introductions. Each fan will received a “Rip City, Oregon” light up baton that will enhance the in-bowl experience for game introductions.
“Trail Blazers fans have passionately supported this team all year,” said Chris McGowan, President & CEO of the Trail Blazers and Moda Center. “And I am thrilled that they will be able to witness playoff basketball.”
KGW NewsChannel 8, over-the-air broadcast carrier for 17 games during the 82-game regular season, steps forward as the exclusive local television channel for all first round Trail Blazers playoff games. Partnering with KGW extends the market penetration for the broadcasts to a larger footprint of Oregon households.
The following will take place during the playoffs:
· NBA Playoffs-inspired food and drink specials at Dr. Jack’s crafted by the chefs of Levy Restaurants to fuel the excitement during viewing parties for both home and road games. Additional Trail Blazers viewing parties will be held at local Buffalo Wild Wings locations.
· Fox Sports Radio AM-620, and the entire Clear Channel Media + Entertainment network, became “Rip City Radio” earlier this week in support of the Trail Blazers playoff run. Fox Sports Radio will use Dr. Jack’s for its pre-game, halftime and post-game location.
· Fans are encouraged to proudly display Trail Blazers and Rip City signage and share it via social media using the hashtag #RipCity. The best displays will be shown on broadcast, in game and on trailblazers.com
· The team’s official website, trailblazers.com, will transform to playoff central, with exclusive content, player interviews, photos and more.
· The team will host several “pep rallies” at select local elementary schools to inspire the students for the Trail Blazers playoff run. The pep rallies will include “Blaze” the Trail Cat, friendly competitions and Rip City giveaways.
· Home playoff games will feature the popular 5050 Rip City Raffles to benefit the Trail Blazers make it better Foundation and local Portland charities. Just as it was throughout the regular season, one lucky fan randomly drawn in the fourth quarter will take home 50% of the total money raised.
· New NBA Playoffs fan gear and merchandise will be available in the Trail Blazers Fan Shop, which will hold regular hours of 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Monday through Friday on non-gamedays.
· “RIP CITY CENTRAL” will feature: Clear Channel playing hit music with popular DJs on the Rose Quarter Commons, alongside live music from local bands appearing on-stage. High-spirited appearances by “Blaze” the Trail Cat and the ever-popular BlazerDancers and Trail Blazers Stunt Team. Interactive inflatables, “bounce houses,” face painters and other activities in a special Kids Zone.
Fans are encouraged to wear Trail Blazers gear on Friday, April 18 from noon to 1 p.m. at Portland’s Tom McCall Waterfront Park for a chance to win playoff tickets courtesy of Moda Health. Show your Moda Health card and look for the Rip City Street Team, including Blaze and BlazerDancers along with Moda Health representative Kevin Carroll, as they will be strolling the park rewarding fans showing their Moda Health cards and wearing Trail Blazers gear with Round 1 playoff tickets. All fans will receive a free Rip City window cling. Ticket sweepstakes are limited.
Trail Blazers fans outside of Portland won’t be left out of the Rip City frenzy either. Look for large scale Rip City, Oregon flags, posters and window clings popping up around the state, including multiple landmarks, buildings and Trail Blazers partner locations.
“The excitement of the NBA Playoffs and Rip City finds its way across the entire Pacific Northwest,” said Dewayne Hankins, Trail Blazers Vice President of Marketing and Digital Media. “We want Trail Blazers fans everywhere -- whether here in the Rose Quarter or watching at home -- to feel a part of this playoff run.”
Limited tickets still remain for all first round home games. Visit trailblazers.com for seating availability.