Playoff Notes: Trail Blazers Vs. Rockets
April 16, 2014
REGULAR SEASON, ALL-TIME: Rockets lead, 100-79
IN PORTLAND: Trail Blazers lead, 48-41
IN HOUSTON: Rockets lead, 59-31
PLAYOFFS, ALL-TIME: Rockets lead, 10-4
IN PORTLAND: Trail Blazers lead, 4-3
IN HOUSTON: Rockets lead, 7-0
• The Rockets won the regular season series, 3-1 over the Trail Blazers. Both teams scored over 100 points in each of the four games.
• Houston won the first matchup, 116-101, on Nov. 5 in Portland, while the Trail Blazers came back to win the second matchup, 111-104, on Dec. 12 in Portland. Houston prevailed in the final two matchups at home, winning 126-113, on Jan. 20 and 118-113 in overtime on March 9th.
• In four games this season, the Rockets have averaged 116.0 points against the Trail Blazers, the second-highest average against Portland in the NBA this year (L.A. Clippers, 117.0). Portland scored 438 total points against Houston this season, their third-highest point total against any opponent.
• The Trail Blazers held a 89-73 advantage in assists and a 62-55 advantage over the Rockets in offensive rebounds.
• LaMarcus Aldridge owns a career average of 21.1 points per game against Houston, his second-highest average against any opponent (Dallas).
• In 13 of the past 15 meetings between Portland and Houston, the winning team has scored 100-plus points.
• In four games against the Rockets, LaMarcus Aldridge scored 107 total points, his highest point total against any team this season. Aldridge also grabbed a total of 62 rebounds against Houston, his highest rebounding total again any opponent and second-highest rebounding average (15.5)
• Wesley Matthews scored 81 points in four games against the Rockets, tied for his highest point total against any opponent this season. Matthews also averaged 20.3 points against Houston, tied for his third-largest scoring average against any team this year.
• LaMarcus Aldridge recorded his 400th field goal of the season in the Jan. 20 matchup against the Rockets.
• Three Trail Blazers recorded double-doubles against the Rockets in the March 9th contest (LaMarcus Aldridge - 28 points, 12 rebounds; Robin Lopez - 11 points, 11 rebounds; Mo Williams - 10 points, 11 assists).
• Of the 44 season series between the two teams, the Trail Blazers have taken the regular season series 12 times, Houston has taken 22 and 10 have been split.
PLAYOFF SERIES NOTES
• Portland and Houston have met in the Playoffs three times previously, all in the first round, with Houston winning all three series.
• The Trail Blazers were defeated by the Rockets in 1987 (1-3), in 1994 (1-3) and in 2009 (2-4).
• In the 2009 Playoff series, Portland had the fourth seed while the Rockets had the fifth seed. Houston won Game 1 in Portland and went on to win the series in six games.
• The Trail Blazers have had home court advantage over the Rockets in two out of three playoff series.
• LaMarcus Aldridge and Nicolas Batum are the only current Trail Blazers who were members of the last Trail Blazers team to face the Rockets in the Playoffs (2009).
• Houston does not have any current players from their 2009 Playoff roster.
• Thomas Robinson appeared in 19 games with the Rockets during his rookie campaign in 2012-13, where he averaged 4.5 points and 4.1 rebounds.
• Rockets G/F Francisco Garcia was teammates with Thomas Robinson throughout the 2012-13 season, getting traded from the Sacramento Kings to the Rockets with Robinson.
• Rockets center Omer Asik was drafted by the Trail Blazers with the 36th pick in the 2008 NBA Draft.
• Houston forward Jordan Hamilton, center Dexter Pittman and Trail Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge all played collegiately at the University of Texas.
Houston 116, Portland 101 — November 5 at Portland
Damian Lillard led the Trail Blazers with 22 points, four rebounds and five assists ... Lillard also drained four 3-pointers on the night, making him the first Trail Blazer to score at least 16 3-pointers in the team’s first four games of any season ... LaMarcus Aldridge scored 21 points, making him the first player since Cliff Robinson in 1995 to score 20-plus points in each of the team’s first four games ... Dwight Howard and James Harden scored 36 of Houston’s 55 first half points, and finished the game with 62 of their team’s final 116 points (Howard - 29, Harden - 33) ... Patrick Beverly came off the bench to score 12 points and four rebounds in his return from injury.
Portland 111, Houston 104 — December 12 at Portland
LaMarcus Aldridge scored 31 points and grabbed a career high 25 rebounds ... Aldridge posted the first 30-point, 25-rebound game in Trail Blazers history and is the first NBA player with at least 30 points, 25 rebounds and two blocks in a game since Chris Webber (Jan. 5, 2001) ... Robin Lopez registered his 10th double-double of the season with 16 points and 10 rebounds, the most double-doubles Lopez has recorded in any season ... Mo Williams came off the bench to add 13 points, two rebounds and four assists ... Dwight Howard led Houston with 32 points and 17 rebounds.
Houston 126, Portland 113 — January 20 at Houston
LaMarcus Aldridge recorded his 25th double-double of the season with 27 points and 20 rebounds ... The game marked Aldridge’s third 20-point, 20-rebound game this season, the only player in the league to do so (no one else has more than one) ... Aldridge had recorded five straight games of at least 12 rebounds, tying his career best ... Aldridge also recorded his 400th field goal of this season on his first made shot of the game ... Damian Lillard scored 24 points on 7-for-17 shooting, including three 3-pointers ... Chandler Parsons and Dwight Howard recorded double-doubles for the Rockets ... Parsons totaled 31 points and 10 rebounds while Howard posted 24 points and 12 rebounds.
Houston 118, Portland 113 — March 9 at Houston
The Trail Blazers led by as many as 16 points and led through the first three quarters ... Three Trail Blazers recorded double-doubles against the Rockets ... LaMarcus Aldridge had his 35th double-double this season, totaling 28 points and 12 rebounds, Robin Lopez had his 24th double-double of this season with 11 points and 11 rebounds and Mo Williams recorded his second double-double of the season with 10 points and 11 assists off the bench ... Wesley Matthews registered 26 points from four three pointers and 12-for-13 from the free throw line to go with four rebounds, two assists and three steals ... Houston was led by James Harden who had 41 points, 10 rebounds, six assists, six steals and one block.