Notes & Quotes: Trail Blazers 108, Timberwolves 97
February 23, 2014
• The Trail Blazers are the only NBA team with 10 wins in their division this season (10-3 vs. Northwest Division).
• Portland is now 17-2 when holding their opponents under 100 points.
• Portland won the season series against Minnesota, 3-1, and has now won 24 of the past 26 meetings between the two teams, dating back to 2007.
• Thomas Robinson recorded his first double-double as a Trail Blazer tonight, the fourth double-double of his career.
• In his 118th career game tonight, Thomas Robinson grabbed a career high 18 rebounds (previous was 14, set on Jan. 23, 2013; Sacramento vs. Phoenix), tied his career high offensive rebounds (7), tied his career high in field goals made (6) and played a career high 33 minutes.
• Thomas Robinson is the only NBA player this season to record at least 18 rebounds and seven offensive boards off the bench. Robinson is the first Trail Blazer to grab at least 18 rebounds off the bench since Joel Pryzbilla (19, Dec. 23, 2008 vs. Denver).
• Damian Lillard shot 64.7 percent (11-17) from the floor tonight, tied for his highest field goal percentage when he has taken at least 15 shots (64.7 FG%, 11-17 FG – Nov. 23, 2012 vs. Minnesota.)
• Damian Lillard has scored at least four 3-pointers in 19 games this season, ranking him second in the league behind Stephen Curry (25).
• Victor Claver scored his first basket of the season at the 1:57 mark of this first quarter.
• Nicolas Batum posted his second 20-point, 10-rebound game of the season (Feb. 5 at New York) and the sixth of his career.
• Damian Lillard recorded the 13th 30-point game of his career (eighth this season).
• Damian Lillard tied a season high 13 points in the first quarter (previously set on December 6 against Utah).
• Damian Lillard has made multiple 3-pointers for the 40th time in 56 games this season.
• The Trail Blazers regained the lead from the Timberwolves at 5:15 in the third on a Nicolas Batum 3-pointer after not having the lead since the score was 4-2 at 10:56 in the first quarter.
• Portland went on 56-26 run from 2:06 of the second quarter to 5:56 mark of the fourth quarter.
• The Timberwolves went on an 18-7 run from 11:11 in the first quarter to the 8:00 mark.
On Performance Tonight:
“It was huge. T-Rob, Will, Vic, Mo – guys came in and really picked up the energy. They really brought a lot to the game today.”
On Bench Play:
“It sounds a little cliché but we were the aggressors, we were a little more tenacious. I really think it’s as simple as that.”
On Thomas Robinson:
“We were joking when we got back in the locker room calling him Thomas Aldridge. He had 18 rebounds and 15 points or whatever it was, but he was huge. He got a lot of rebounds that were outside of his box. He went and got a lot of them. He had a lot of tough finishes, ran the floor, protected the paint. Just big time plays that we needed that came at the perfect time throughout the game. He played a great game.”
On Turning The Game Around Late In The First Half:
“We started to get stops. That led to us getting out and we had a chance to run. We attacked the basket, we moved the ball. But it came down to us getting stops.”
“It was a lot of fun. There was a fire lit underneath us. There was a little bit of a challenge, a little bit of adversity to start the game. Like I said, the guys off the bench brought a lot of energy to the game. They really changed the game.”
On Tonight's Game:
“The second half was really exciting. I loved the energy that we played with. Defensively, it was a very good defensive second half. Obviously, the play of Thomas Robinson made a difference for us. Our attitude and our demeanor coming out of halftime is what made the difference.”
Are You More Comfortable With Lineups?:
“No – short answer. Look, it was another night where we weren’t undersized. Actually, the matchups worked out really well for us. We were able to compete. We got off to a poor start, I thought our communication and just out mindset was just not where it needed to be in the first half. We turned that around. It’s still going to be nothing set in stone as far as how things are going. But tonight the guys that were out there did what they needed to do.”
On Robinson's Game:
“A little bit of everything. His toughness with Kevin Love – I thought it started at the end of the first half. We were down whatever we were down with two or three minutes to go in the first half and we made a nice run. I thought his physicalness in the paint was important for us. It’s easy to look at the stats –he was getting rebounds in a crowd, but I thought the way we finished the first half really set the table for the second half and Thomas had a lot to do with that.”
On Getting Robinson To 'Bottle That Up':
“Everybody is human. Everybody has good days and bad days. It’s not about bottling it up. That’s how we need him to play and he knows that.”
“I thought he had a good all-around game. He was aggressive going to the basket. I was glad he made some threes. He’s worked pretty hard in the last couple days at getting a lot of threes up and shooting them with confidence. He did a little bit of everything, but it was good to see him shoot the ball well.”
On The Momentum Portland Had Going Into The Third:
"Yeah, they're good even with LaMarcus out. They can put up points in a hurry, shoot the ball well and it's one of the best, if not the best, crowds in the league. It's a tough one for us because we had a pretty good half in the first half, but in the second half, they hit shots, a lot of calls went there way and it's a tale of two halves."
On What Happened And Changed Physically Going Into The Second Half:
"Obviously we were on a back-to-back but, you know, we played well in the first half and in the second half, they just got to more loose balls, hit shots and that was it."
On 8-0 Run At The End Of The First Half:
"We've had times like that in the season. I can remember like Atlanta where that happened where we come out in the second half, they don't have that run, we get a couple buckets, a couple stops and we're looking pretty good. So, things like that happen. It was unfortunate for us, but we know we have another chance on Tuesday to step up."
On Tonight's Game:
"We got a little tired and our movement stopped offensively and they got to the open court."
On Possible Changes Portland Made Defensively To Swing The Momentum:
"It got very physical, very physical."
On How Important 8-0 Run Was At The End Of The First Half:
"I thought we rushed it. We didn't handle the ball very well. Like I said, we didn't move the ball from side to side and it got them back in the game. Once a crowd gets into it and they get some energy and they start making threes, things changed."
On The Momentum Damian Lillard Built Throughout The Game:
"Well, you have to do a better job than we did. He came off picks and we weren't there and he had open looks."
On The Impact Of Thomas Robinson's Energy Tonight After A Back-To-Back:
"I thought we got tired in the third quarter. You know, playing a back-to-back and early game today, it's just one of those things you have to live with in this league."