Wade, Thomas, George among clutch-time leaders this season and other stats nuggets about the squad
POSTED: Feb 14, 2016 12:19 PM ET
Inside The NBA: Eastern Conference All-Star Starters
Ernie Johnson announces the Eastern Conference starters for the 2016 NBA All-Star game.
If you like eye-opening NBA numbers, you can probably get your fix by tracking Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors all season. The champs are on pace to win 75 games and the MVP is on pace to make 100 3-pointers more than anyone ever has in a season.
What the Warriors are doing has somewhat overshadowed what else has been going on the league. But as we reach the All-Star break, there are plenty of numbers to dig into across the NBA.
And to get you ready for the 2016 NBA All-Star Game at the Air Canada Centre on Sunday, here are some notes and numbers regarding the 12 players who will be representing the Eastern Conference, with the help of both SportVU player tracking and Synergy play type data.
-- Clutch time = Last five minutes of the fourth quarter or overtime with a score differential of five points or less.
-- Effective field goal percentage = (FGM + (0.5 * 3PM)) / FGA
-- True shooting percentage = PTS / (2 * (FGM + 0.44 * FTA)))
All stats through Thursday, Feb. 11.
All-Star Top 10: Kyle Lowry
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star Kyle Lowry!
• Registering career highs in points per game, rebounds per game, steals per game, free throw attempts per game, and 3-point percentage.
• Only player other than Stephen Curry averaging at least two 3-pointers and two steals per game.
• Has an effective field goal percentage of 43.2 percent in the first quarter and 54.3 percent over quarters 2-4.
More SportVU: Ranks sixth in the league with 87 3-point attempts off pick-and-rolls, but has shot just 25-for-87 (29 percent) on those shots.
Video: Watch Lowry go 7-for-9 from 3-point range against Brooklyn on Jan. 18.
All-Star Top 10: Dwyane Wade
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star Dwyane Wade!
• Ranks second in clutch-time points among players who haven't made any clutch 3-pointers.
• One of four All-Stars (LaMarcus Aldridge, DeRozan and Gasol are the others) who has taken less than 40 percent of his shots from the restricted area or 3-point range.
• Registering career lows in minutes per game, effective field goal percentage and true shooting percentage.
More SportVU: Has shot 29.5 percent of the time after coming off a ball screen, a rate almost double that of teammate Goran Dragic (14.9 percent).
All-Star Top 10: Carmelo Anthony
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star Carmelo Anthony!
• Leads the league with 377 mid-range field goal attempts.
• Recording career highs in assist ratio (15.4 assists per 100 possessions used) and rebounding percentage (grabbing 12.4 percent of available rebounds when he's on the floor).
• The Knicks are 6-3 when he's dished out at least seven assists.
More SportVU: Has shot just 4-for-21 (19 percent) from 3-point range as a pick-and-roll ball-handler, after shooting 24-for-64 (38 percent) over the last two seasons.
All-Star Top 10: Paul George
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star Paul George!
• One of seven players who has shot at least 40 percent on at least 20 clutch-time 3-point attempts.
• True shooting percentage is a career-high 55.8 percent, thanks to a career-high free throw rate (FTA / FGA) of 0.376.
• Part of the league's best defensive lineup (minimum 200 minutes). The Pacers have allowed just 87.1 points per 100 possessions in 230 minutes with George Hill, Monta Ellis, George, Lavoy Allen and Ian Mahinmi on the floor together.
• Ranks third in the league (behind C.J. McCollum and Khris Middleton) in total distance traveled.
Bonus: Is a plus-107 in 480 minutes when sharing the floor with at least two guys named Hill, but has never played with all three Hills on the Pacers.
Video: Watch George shoot 8-for-11 from 3-point range on his way to a career-high 48 points in Utah on Dec. 5.
All-Star Top 10: LeBron James
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star LeBron James!
• Has shot 32.1 percent from outside the paint, the lowest mark since his rookie season (32.0 percent) and a mark that ranks 148th among 153 players who have attempted at least 200 shots from the outside. But he's taken 55.3 percent of his shots from inside the paint, the highest rate of his career.
• Only player averaging 20 points, six rebounds and six assists while shooting at least 50 percent.
• Leads the league with 99 shots with four seconds or less on the shot clock.
• Usage rate is highest, but assist rate is lowest in the fourth quarter.
• Leads the league in fourth-quarter scoring (7.6 points per game).
All-Star Top 10: Chris Bosh
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star Chris Bosh!
• Has made 81 3-pointers, seven more than he's made in any other season.
• Has both the highest assist ratio (11.7 per 100 possessions used) and lowest turnover ratio (7.1) of his career.
• Has shot 71 percent in the restricted area (one of 10 players who has shot better than 70 percent on at least 150 attempts), up from 53 percent last season.
More SportVU: The Heat have scored 1.09 points per possession when Bosh has set a ball screen for Wade, but just 0.93 when Bosh has set a ball screen for Dragic.
Video: Watch Bosh hit a career-high five 3-pointers (on five attempts) against Brooklyn on Dec. 28.
All-Star Top 10: Jimmy Butler
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star Jimmy Butler!
• Made an NBA season-high 21 free throws at Philadelphia on Jan. 14.
• Has run 2.71 miles per game, most in the league.
• Assist rate has increased every year of his career, up to 16.5 assists per 100 possessions used this season.
More SportVU: Has been the ball-handler on 18.1 pick-and-rolls per game, up from 7.6 last season.
All-Star Top 10: DeMar DeRozan
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star DeMar DeRozan!
• Ranks second in drives per game and leads the league with 8.5 points scored on drives per game.
• Ranks second in the league in mid-range FGA, but the percentage of his points that have come from mid-range is down from 30.2 percent to 23.6 percent.
• One of five All-Stars whose teams have been better with them off the floor than with them on the floor. The Raptors have been 9.4 points per 100 possessions better with DeRozan on the bench (plus-11.6) than with him in the game (plus-2.0).
More SportVU: When running a pick-and-roll with Bismack Biyombo or Jonas Valanciunas, he's passed the ball to the screener just three percent and six percent of the time, respectively. But after a screen from Luis Scola, he's passed the ball to him 26 percent of the time.
Video: Watch DeRozan shoot 11-for-15 in the restricted area in two games against the Knicks.
All-Star Top 10: Andre Drummond
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star Andre Drummond!
• Grabbed an NBA season-high 29 rebounds vs. Indiana on Nov. 3.
• Averaging 5.6 second chance points per game, 1.8 more than any other player.
• Has five of the league's seven 20-20 games.
• Part of the league's most-used lineup. The Detroit starting lineup has played 326 more minutes than any other lineup in the league.
More SportVU: Has run 981 pick-and-rolls with Reggie Jackson, the most by any combination in the league.
All-Star Top 10: Pau Gasol
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star Pau Gasol!
• Is taking more than half his shots from outside the paint for the first time in his career.
• Assist ratio goes down from 19.2 assists per 100 possessions uses in the first half of games to 11.9 in the second half.
• Only player 33 or older who's averaging a double-double.
• Has defended 514 shots at the rim, second most in the league.
All-Star Top 10: Paul Millsap
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star Paul Millsap!
• Averaging career highs in assists (3.3), blocks (1.4) and free throw attempts (5.5) per game.
• One of four players who has shot better than 50 percent on at least 100 post-up shots.
• Has shot 28.6 percent on wide-open 3-pointers, worst among 59 players who have attempted at least 75 of them (and down from a mark of 37.4 percent last season.
• Hawks have been outscored by 1.7 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor in the first half of games, but have outscored their opponents by 6.6 points per 100 possessions in the second half (16.2 in the fourth quarter).
All-Star Top 10: Isaiah Thomas
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star Isaiah Thomas!
• Averaging career highs in points, rebounds and assists per game.
• Only player under 6-feet tall averaging more than seven points per game.
• Has shot 93.3 percent from the free throw line on the road, best among players with at least 75 road free throw attempts.
• One of five players that has shot at least 90 percent on at least 25 clutch-time free throws.
More SportVU: Ranks second (behind Stephen Curry) with 91 3-point attempts in the first six seconds of the shot clock.
All-Star Top 10: John Wall
Check out the top 10 plays from Eastern Conference All-Star John Wall!
Bonus: Leads the league with 171 assists on 3-pointers.
The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA, its clubs or Turner Broadcasting.