NBA.com news services
Posted Feb 23, 2014 2:05 PM - Updated Feb 23, 2014 7:24 PM
• Heat forward LeBron James will not play because of the broken nose he sustained Thursday against the Oklahoma City Thunder. This is just second game James has missed this season due to injury. He sat out earlier in the year against Portland with a sore groin.
• Center Greg Oden will start in place of James, with Chris Bosh moving to power forward and Shane Battier switching to small forward. It is Oden's first start of the season.
• Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao (back soreness), shooting guard Dion Waiters (left knee hyperextension), and shooting guard C.J. Miles (left ankle sprain) will not play. Leading rebounder Varejao is sitting out his sixth straight game, sixth man Waiters is missing his third in a row, and Miles is inactive for the second consecutive contest. "They're all getting closer and doing fine, but I don't have a timetable for when they'll be back," Cleveland coach Mike Brown said. "It's tough they're out, though, because each of them are key guys for us."
• Wizards point guard Andre Miller played for Washington coach Randy Wittman — then the Cavaliers' coach — as a rookie in 2000-2001. They were reunited Thursday when the Wizards acquired the 15th-year pro in a trade with Denver. "I'm older and he's grayer now," quipped Miller, who ranks ninth in NBA history with 8,059 assists. "We both have come a long way since I was a rookie and he was a first-time head coach. His demeanor is great, and I'm really looking forward to being together again."
• Reserve guard Nando De Colo will make his debut for the Toronto Raptors after being acquired from the San Antonio Spurs in exchange for Austin Daye ahead of thursday's trade deadline. "I don't know, we'll see," Raptors head coach Dwane Casey said when asked if he would fit De Colo into the rotation on Sunday. "We aren't going to force it. He has only had one day with the team."
• Magic guard Aaron Afflalo did not make the trip to Toronto after suffering a sprained ankle on Friday against the New York Knicks.
• Bulls guard Jimmy Butler is out of the lineup with bruised ribs.
• Thunder center Kendrick Perkins strained his left groin during Thursday's loss to Miami and is out. Rookie big man Steven Adams will start in his place. Adams also started against the Clippers earlier this season when Perkins left the team for two games after the death of his grandfather. In that November loss to L.A. Adams scored seven points on 3-for-4 shooting and grabbed four rebounds.
• Clippers All-Star point guard Chris Paul sprained his right (shooting hand) thumb in Friday's loss at Memphis. Paul warmed up with a brace on his thumb and will play. Clippers coach Doc Rivers told reporters that thumb "swelled up pretty big yesterday. Paul had x-rays earlier today that were negative.
|Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown 2014: Detroit Runner-Up|
Check out the 2nd place winner in Detroit's 2014 Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown competition.
|Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown 2014: Indy Runner-Up|
Check out the 2nd place winner in Indiana's 2014 Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown competition.
|Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown 2014: NY Runner-Up|
Check out the 2nd place winner in New York's 2014 Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown competition.
|Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown 2014: DC Runner-Up|
Check out the 2nd place winner in Washington DC's 2014 Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown competition.
|Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown 2014: SAC Runner-Up|
Check out the 2nd place winner in Sacramento's 2014 Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown competition.